Masters of Clinical Laboratory Science – Molecular Diagnostic Science Track
About the Program
The Molecular Diagnostic Science track in the Master’s of Clinical Laboratory Science degree (MDS graduate program) provides professional education at the graduate level for laboratory scientists in the area of molecular diagnosis for acquired, inherited, and infectious diseases. Our program is North Carolina’s first master’s degree program in molecular diagnostics.
The MDS graduate program prepares professionals who are competent in performing and interpreting molecular-based laboratory tests, explaining the appropriate use and meaning of molecular-based tests to other health care professionals, and establishing and validating new molecular methods in a clinical laboratory. Graduates are qualified to take the national certification examination in molecular biology from the American Society for Clinical Pathology (ASCP).
The MDS graduate program consists of web-based courses, on-campus laboratory courses, on-campus class meetings and a structured practical experience in a molecular diagnostics laboratory. During the clinical rotation, students work on a method evaluation project and present their results at the end of the program. The web-based courses allow students greater flexibility in learning but they are no less demanding than traditional classroom courses. Students interested in the MDS graduate program should be ready to make a full time commitment to studying at the graduate level. The commitment in time and resources will enable students to enter an exciting and constantly changing field of medicine.
How do our graduates do on national certification exams?
The certification examination for graduates of the Master’s in Clinical Laboratory Science – Molecular Diagnostic Science track is the Molecular Biology (MB) examination offered by the ASCP-Board of Certification.The pass rates in the first year after graduation for the past three classes are:
- MDS Class of May 2018: 100% Pass rate (National pass rate was 78%).
- MDS Class of May 2019: 100% Pass rate (National pass rate was 82%).
- MDS Class of December 2020 and May 2021: 66% Pass rate (National pass rate was 64%).
How successful were our graduates in getting jobs?
- For the MDS Class of May 2018, 67% of the graduates were employed at time of graduation. Information was not available for 33% of the graduates.
- For the MDS Class of May 2019, 67% of the graduates were employed at time of graduation. Information was not available for 33% of the graduates.
- For the MDS Class of December 2020 and May 2021, 50% of the graduates were employed at time of graduation. Information was not available for 50% of the graduates.
What about graduation and attrition rates?
For the MDS Classes of May 2018, May 2019, and December 2019, December 2020 and May 2021, an average of 100% of the students who entered the final year of the program completed the program and received their Master’s degree.