The Division of Physical Therapy is committed to a number of core values, including those of diversity, equity, and inclusion. Our Carolina Commitment outlines these commitments.

The Carolina Commitment

I have willingly chosen to pursue physical therapy as my profession. I acknowledge this profession requires a steadfast commitment to learning, skill development, application of research advances, and unwavering professionalism.

I promise to always make the concerns of the patient my first and most important consideration. I am committed to providing high-quality, cost-effective, accessible healthcare for all individuals.

I will evaluate my impact on the individual, family, and community under my care and will always advocate for their well-being.

I promise to always put forth my best effort, to collaborate with curiosity, to recognize my weaknesses, to ask for assistance when needed, and to accept feedback openly as part of an inter-professional healthcare team.

I promise to conduct myself with maturity and professionalism, even in the most difficult and personally challenging situations.

I promise to work to become more aware of my biases and privileges. I will respect all individuals regardless of race, color, national origin, language, religion, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, income, disability, or any other distinguishing characteristic.

I promise to actively combat my biases to ensure they will not negatively affect the quality of care I provide to my patients.

I will not tolerate anything that promotes hate and division. I will combat discrimination and racism wherever they appear, and I will be part of the cure for these diseases of the heart and mind. I will create an inclusive environment for my patients and colleagues. I will be a guiding light for diversity and representation.

I honor the sanctity and dignity of every human being and my obligation to connect with all of my patients and colleagues with compassion, respect, and understanding. It is my duty to care for others and to transform healthcare for the betterment of all.

It is my responsibility as a professional to be active in the community, in the legislative process, and in my professional association to improve the quality of life for myself and others.

I understand that a balanced life is critical to maintaining my ability to respond to professional demands. I am committed to taking care of my own health, both physical and emotional, seeking support and advice as needed.

I accept the inherent challenge in choosing physical therapy as my profession and will do my best to fulfill the commitment I have made…in the classroom, in clinical settings, in research, in the community, and in all my professional activities.