Shakeia Burgin (MS '18)
Shakeia Burgin (MS ’18)

Name:

Shakeia Burgin

Program:

Division of Speech and Hearing Sciences

Graduation Year:

2018

Current Employer and Job Title:

Speech-Language Pathologist at The Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia

Tell us about your job:

I am currently working at The Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia where I have the opportunity to work with children and families in our outpatient facilities as well as providing care in our inpatient rehabilitation and acute care. I completed the LEND (Leadership Education in Neurodevelopmental and Related Disabilities) Fellowship here at CHOP, through which I have received specific training on diagnosis and treatment of autism spectrum disorder (ASD). I regularly work as part of interdisciplinary teams to assess children with suspected ASD and develop comprehensive care plans for them and their families. Other areas of clinical interest and focus include augmentative and alternative communication (AAC), feeding and swallowing disorders, and cultural humility.

How did your education with the Division of Speech and Hearing Sciences benefit you?:

My education from UNC-Chapel Hill has given me an incredible foundation of knowledge and experience that I have been able to continue building upon in my clinical practice. I am regularly reflecting upon experiences from the classroom and beyond that help me to best support my patients and their families.