Three degree programs are offered:
- Master’s of Science (MS) in Speech and Hearing Sciences (clinical and non-clinical track)
- Clinical Doctor of Audiology (AuD); and,
- Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) for students seeking a career in academic teaching and research
Our master’s degree and Doctor of Audiology are ranked #12 and #4 respectively, according to U.S. News & World Report.
The division also offers an undergraduate minor. More than 20 full-and-part-time faculty hold appointments in the division, and many others serve as clinical preceptors and research mentors.
We engage in evidence-based teaching, research, and service aimed at understanding, preventing, diagnosing and treating disorders of speech, language, hearing, and balance. We strive to facilitate and enhance communication and quality of life for individuals and families affected by these disorders.
To accomplish this mission we:
- Educate students to:
- Be clinical practitioners, teachers and researchers in human communication sciences and disorders
- Develop and maintain the highest ethical standards of quality in the compassionate provision of clinical services
- Be knowledgeable and respectful of individual and cultural differences in the provision of care for individuals, families, and communities
- Influence policy and promote the general welfare of all persons with disorders of speech, language, hearing, or balance
- Evaluate evidence regarding treatment efficacy and strive to continually deliver evidence-based practice
- Conduct and disseminate scholarly research to:
- Contribute to the theoretical and applied understanding of speech, language, hearing, and balance
- Provide empirical evidence to inform the prevention, diagnosis and treatment of disorders of speech, language, hearing, and balance
- Engage with the community to improve the translation between research and clinical practice
- Provide service to:
- Promote care of the highest quality to the citizens of North Carolina and beyond through exemplary models of best practice
- Collaborate with clinical providers in the community to assure best practice training opportunities for students
- Support ongoing professional development through the provision of continuing education programs