UNC HCC RESPONSE TO COVID-19
Dear UNC HCC Patients and Community Members,
Your health and safety are of the utmost priority to us during this uncertain time. You can rest assured that the UNC Hearing and Communication Center is implementing every possible health guideline to keep you and our team safe. We are well stocked with protective equipment and have specific measures in place for before you arrive, during the appointment and after the you leave.
Examples of our coronavirus safety protocols include:
- detailed health screening of patients and providers before entering the building
- limiting the number of patients in the waiting room by having them wait in their car until the start of the appointment
- all patients, caregivers, staff and providers wear UNC Health provided surgical masks
- providers don additional protective gear (gloces, faceshields and gowns) according to the service provided
- all equipment, tools and surfaces wiped down with sanitizing product after each appointment
- frequent provider and staff handwashing with soap and/or hand sanitizer before, during and after interacting with every patien
Before Your Appointment:
Please read the following to best determine how we can serve your hearing needs. Be prepared to answer travel and health questions by our office staff at the time of scheduling and during check in.
- If you are sick, please reschedule your appointment by two weeks. Any patient with fever, cough or symptoms of respiratory illness will not be seen and should contact his/her primary care physician.
- If you have underlying conditions (such as: advanced age, diabetes, heart disease, lung disease or any disorder causing a weakened immune system), reschedule any non-critical appointment by at least two weeks. Staying home and limiting social contact is recommended by the CDC.
- In person visits and evaluations are being scheduled if virtual or remote care is not possible or desired. When scheduling your appointment, discuss what kind of care is most appropriate for your needs or health risks.
CURBSIDE HEARING AID SERVICES
Hearing aid repair and cleaning services can be provided from the convenience of your vehicle! Curbside hearing aid checks are available during all business hours (Monday through Friday, 9 until 4 p.m.)*. Call our office in advance and let us know you are coming. A second call should be made from the parking lot to let us know you have arrived. One of our clinicians will greet you in your vehicle and take the devices in need of service using gloves and necessary contact precautions. Once the devices have been cleaned or repaired, they will be returned to you – likely within 10 minutes. Curbside service couldn’t be easier and minimizes everyone’s risk of coronavirus exposure.
Unable to come in person?
A caregiver, friend or loved one is welcome to bring the devices in your place. If you are unable to wait for service, devices can be picked up at another time, during normal business hours.
What patients are saying about curbside services!
“Hi, just wanted to reach out and say thank you to Hannah today for her wonderful care in fixing my hearing aide while I waited in my car. It couldn’t have been easier and I’m so grateful that you are out there working and providing us a much needed service during this health crisis. It would not have been easy to have only one hearing aide working while cooped up at home for the foreseeable future considering I love listening to music and playing guitar.
Hannah, thank you so much and thank you to everyone in the office that is working during this difficult time. I hope this reaches you.
All the best and stay healthy. Sincerely, MD”
TELE-CARE: PHONE AND VIDEO CONSULTATIONS
Need to speak with an Audiologist?
Phone and Video conferencing is available! The UNC HCC is now providing counseling and follow up with one of our Audiologists via phone or computer technology*. No question is too small. We are here for you and are happy to continue hearing aid fitting counseling and follow-up through tele-health. Call our office staff and let them know if you would like to schedule a phone of video appointment. Video appointments require high speed internet, computer connection and good audio speakers. A webcam or attached video is optimal.
*All curbside and tele-care services will incur normal service fees and charges. Invoices will be mailed to patients for payment.