Skip to main content

What is the retention rate for students in the program?

Over the past three years, 92.8 percent of students admitted to the AuD program have completed their program.

What is the success rate for graduates seeking employment?

Over the past three years, 100 percent of AuD graduates have been employed by or within a few months after graduation. Our graduates are highly sought after and respected in the field.

What is the pass rate on the Praxis exam?

Over the past three years, 100 percent of AuD students taking the Praxis exam have successfully passed.

What if I don’t have a background in communication sciences and disorders?

It is not necessary that you have a background, or degree, in Speech and Hearing Sciences. We have had successful audiology students with majors in, for example, Biology, Linguistics, English, Journalism, Music, Computer Science, in addition to those with majors in Communication Sciences. We value diverse backgrounds and interests. In fact several of our faculty had careers in other fields before returning to school to become audiologists. However, you are strongly encouraged to explore the field through observations and complete as many of the pre-requisites as possible before applying. You are not required to have all pre-requisites completed before you apply but you must have them completed before entering the program.

Do I need to take my prerequisite coursework at UNC-Chapel Hill?

Completion of pre-requisite coursework at any accredited university is acceptable. There are online programs available: Utah State University, The University of Alaska, and Appalachian State are a few.

What is the required minimum GPA in order to be accepted?

The minimum GPA is 3.0, although those admitted into the program typically have higher GPAs. The average GPA ranges from 3.5 to 3.9.

What courses will I take?

Please review the course catalog.

I’m not a very good standardized test-taker, but I have a good GPA. Will the admissions committee still review my application?

Yes. The admissions committee considers every completed application in its entirety.  Academic performance is particularly important. Many students, especially those with a Communication Disorders (CSD) or similar major, have outstanding GPAs.  However, grading expectations and practices vary widely across majors and among universities and colleges. If you are a CSD major, doing well in multiple challenging courses outside of your major will provide us with additional information about your abilities.  If your performance on the quantitative part of the GRE is weaker, doing well in multiple science/math courses will demonstrate strengths in quantitative thinking.

Do recommendations really make a difference?

Recommendations can have a significant impact, especially if they are outstanding or raise questions — choose your recommenders carefully.  We want to hear from recommenders who know you well and can write specifically about your performance and abilities.  You must submit three letters of recommendation: two must be from professors who know your academic work well. If you are at a university with large classes or have been out of school for a while and are taking post-grad classes, it will be helpful to get to know your professors. Take advantage of office hours, ask questions, volunteer.   If you are in a major where your recommenders are unlikely to know much about audiology, we recommend speaking with them about the field and why you are interested in it.

What are the requirements for the GRE?

The UNC-CH Graduate School has recommended that admitted students present a minimum score at or above the 50th percentile for both the verbal and quantitative sections of the GRE. If there are multiple scores, we consider the highest score in each section. Admission may still be offered to students with lower GRE scores who have outstanding qualifications (e.g., high GPA, excellent recommendation letters, evidence of independent research, etc.). If due to circumstances related to COVID-19, you have been unable to schedule a test center GRE or online GRE, please contact Kayla Rankin, Student Services Specialist.

What are the institution codes for the GRE?

If you have not taken the exam yet and will be applying to the AuD program, you will need a “dual” code that will signal the testing center to send your scores to both CSDCAS and UNC. That code is 0083. Please make sure that your scores go to both applications. If you have already taken the exam using a different code, please have ETS send your scores again to the 0083 location. GRE test scores are valid for five years.

Is the GRE Analytical section considered by the admissions committee?

Only the verbal and quantitative sections of the GRE test are considered.

Is it acceptable to have four letters of recommendation?


Where do I find the form needed for my letters of recommendation?

Submission of letters of recommendation to CSDCAS is electronic and they upload directly to your application.

What information do I need in order to submit my transcripts?

IEverything you need to know about transcripts

Do I need to fill out any additional forms if I want to apply for departmental awards and scholarships?

Students must have a completed FAFSA on file in order to be considered for scholarships and need-based financial aid from the Division of Speech and Hearing Sciences. Please fill the form out and submit it as soon as the application becomes available (code 002974). Parental financial information is not taken into account for graduate students. Other schools may ask for parental data for graduate funding but UNC-CH will not review it. If awarded a scholarship or grant, admitted students will receive notification from the Division of Speech and Hearing and/or the Graduate School. During the review process, supplemental information may be required.

When are admissions letters released?

Letters go out via email within a week before or after March 15, and applicants have until April 15 to notify us of their decision.

Can I make an appointment with a faculty member?

Due to the large volume of requests, we are unable to conduct individual tours or interviews. We do however, offer information sessions for prospective students. Attendance at information sessions does not enhance a student’s application nor penalize students who are unable to come to UNC.

I am an international student. What do I need to know?

All international applicants must submit acceptable, official TOEFL scores (reported directly from ETS). We accept no other English Language tests.

Standardized test scores must be official and are reportable for a period of two years from the date of the exam. Exam results more than two years old cannot be considered. Standardized test scores that are submitted to this institution are kept on file for only one year.

When you register for any tests, you should indicate the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill Graduate School as a score recipient. If you did not specify the UNC-Chapel Hill Graduate School (code 5816) as a score recipient at the time of taking the test, you must promptly ask to send your scores to us. While photocopies of score reports are useful for informal evaluation, the official report of your scores must arrive before final review and admission can be offered.

International applicants who may qualify for an exception to the English Standardized exams include:

Those from countries where English is the SOLE OFFICIAL language of instruction (Australia, Bahamas, Barbados, Canada-except Québec, England, Ghana, Ireland, India, Jamaica, Kenya, New Zealand, Nigeria, Scotland, St. Vincent and the Grenadines, Trinidad, Tobago, Uganda, and Wales)

The required minimum total score on the exams are:

The paper-based TOEFL exam = 590

The internet-based TOEFL exam = 100 with a minimum speaking score of 24

Does the Division of Speech and Hearing have an audiology clinic?

Yes, students begin their clinical training at our nationally known off-campus faculty practice clinic, the UNC Hearing and Communication Center (HCC). At the HCC, students will receive hands-on training in diagnostic and rehabilitative services for hearing, including tinnitus, and balance. The HCC is run as a community-based non-profit clinic, providing care for adults and older children.

Where else do students go for their clinical experiences?

In addition to the HCC, all students have placements at UNC Hospitals which provides a rich clinical environment with ENT clinics in several locations, pediatric audiology clinics, and cochlear implant clinics for both adults and children. Many of our students have clinical experiences at the Durham Veterans’ Administration Medical Center, Duke Balance Clinics, various local hospitals and a variety of ENT and audiology private practices.  In addition, there are opportunities at interdisciplinary experiences at specialty clinics like the Carolina Institute for Developmental Disabilities and the Children’s Cochlear Implant Center.  Students also participate in hearing screening, education and outreach in preschool through high school settings, at health fairs and in retirement communities, and through interprofessional activities. For those with interests in educational audiology, clinical placements with the Wake County (Raleigh) and Durham Public School Educational Audiology Programs are available.

Do all students have the same access to clinical sites and populations or do students have to compete with one another for better sites?

All students, regardless of their preferred focus (e.g. pediatrics, older adults, lifespan) have both adult and pediatric experiences.  We are located in an area with many opportunities for clinical placements so there is no need for a lottery or other preference system that limits access to clinical placements.

Do all students have opportunities for more specialty clinical experiences, such as cochlear implants and balance assessment, or only students who hope to work exclusively in these areas?

Yes, all students in years one through three of the program have at least one semester-long cochlear implant placement and one semester-long balance assessment placement. It is not required that students have more than one cochlear implant placement, but some students request and may be assigned to both a pediatric CI experience and an adult CI experience.

Is UNC-CH primarily a pediatric focused program?

While UNC-CH offers a significant number of high quality pediatric clinic and training opportunities, our program offers comprehensive training across the lifespan. Several faculty have specific interests in the challenges of hearing and balance in older adults.  The HCC offers unique opportunities to work with older adult patients outside of the clinic in a variety of retirement communities and assistive living environments. UNC-CH graduates are prepared to practice in all types of audiology settings.

Is a research project required to graduate?

Students are required to take a research methods course. As part of that course, there are requirements related to literature review, grading evidence and critically evaluating sources. Beyond course requirements, however, there is not a capstone or other research requirement.

The AuD is a clinical degree. Consequently, it is not a program requirement that students produce or participate in original research. However, although UNC-CH does not have a joint AuD/PhD program, some students do go on for  a PhD after completing the AuD.

Can I participate in research projects at UNC-CH while I am a student at Chapel Hill?

Students with research interests have participated in a variety of projects with faculty mentors. Students frequently present posters at state and national meetings about their research and have received awards for their work. Interested students should discuss the possibilities directly with research faculty. Current areas include evoked potentials, bimodal cochlear implant performance and hybrid cochlear implant devices.  Students have also competed successfully for T-35 grants, which provide a research intensive summer experience.

Are any recent UNC-CH graduates currently in positions that involve research?

Yes. Although most new graduates are primarily interested in clinical practice, several graduates have been hired directly into exclusively research positions or have gone into research positions after a time in clinical practice.

How much is tuition?

Tuition determinations are made by the Board of Governors and posted on the UNC Cashier’s website; select the most recent Academic Year pdf which provides detailed information for UNC fall and spring semesters.

Figures for resident and non-resident tuition may be found in the Health Affairs pages under the School of Medicine in the section that specifies Doctor of Audiology. Students are always enrolled in nine or more credit hours in fall and spring semesters in years one, two, and three.

Are there summer course or clinic requirements?

Yes. However, summer course/clinic requirements have changed this year in response to COVID-19 and it is difficult to predict what they will look like next year.  In the past, students have not taken coursework during the summer, but have had seven weeks of full-time clinical placements during Summer Block 1 or Summer Block 2 and 7 weeks off in the other Block.  This summer (2020), students have participated in a mix of clinic and online coursework.

How many credit hours are students enrolled in the summer?
Students have historically enrolled for one credit hour in all summers. Tuition figures for summer may be found at, in the Health Affairs section, Graduates subheading that mentions Allied Health Sciences.

Do students register for a full-time credit hour load in the fourth year?

No. In the fall and spring semesters of the Externship year, students have enrolled in five credit hours in the fall, and five credit hours in the spring semester.

Would I be paid during my Externship year?

Although most students do receive a stipend during their fourth year, these vary significantly and are determined by the clinical site offering the experience. In some instances, students have chosen to forgo a stipend in order to have a clinical experience at their preferred site. Most sites have offered some support in the past.

What financial support is available for students? 

A variety of financial support is available for incoming audiology students. Some of these funding sources have requirements beyond graduation. Funding opportunities are reviewed in detail during interviews.

Applicants with interests in Pediatric Audiology:

UNC is one of 12 LEND (Leadership Education in Neurodevelopmental and related Disabilities) sites in the U.S. awarded a Pediatric Audiology Supplement to the core LEND grant. These awards, funded by the U.S. Bureau of Maternal and Child Health, are designed to provide specialized training for students with a special interest in pediatric audiology and in children who are deaf or hard of hearing with one or more developmental disabilities in addition to hearing loss. Both grants provide stipends and have clinical and academic requirements in addition to the general AuD curriculum. For additional information, contact Dr. Jackson Roush at 

Can students work while in the program?

The AuD program at UNC-CH is a full-time program, with full time academic and clinical responsibilities. Because students in fall and spring semesters are enrolled in full-time coursework and also have clinical assignments, most days of the week are scheduled and some classes meet in the evening. Former students who have been able to work part-time while in the program have reported that ten hours a week is a manageable maximum commitment for some, but not necessarily all, students.

Are out of state students ever classified as in-state after moving to North Carolina?

Yes. The Board of Governors of The University of North Carolina has provided guidelines about residency determinations that are based upon evidence suggesting the individual is self-supporting (either through savings, or loans) and has established a “domicile” in the state of North Carolina. Individuals must be resident in the state for one calendar year before they can apply to be re-classified as an in-state student for purposes of tuition determination. Our experience has been that many students in their second year of the program are considered “in-state” but it is important that applicants read the guidelines carefully about how these decisions are made. The Division of Speech and Hearing Sciences is not a partner to these determinations. Students who are claiming North Carolina residency for tuition purposes, are required to submit a residency application with the North Carolina Residency Determination Services (RDS) at More information about this may be found at