Fall Weekend 2017 Recap
Fall Medical Alumni Weekend Showcases Loyalty and Generosity in our UNC School of Medicine.
Fall Medical Alumni Weekend Showcases Loyalty and Generosity in our UNC School of Medicine
More than 200 medical alumni, faculty and students participated in UNC School of Medicine’s Fall Medical Alumni Weekend Oct. 27-28, 2017.
Following Friday’s biannual meetings of the National Loyalty Fund Committee and the Medical Alumni Council, we celebrated our Loyalty Fund Associates (donors of $1,000) and scholarship donors, Loyalty Fund Scholars, and Loyalty Fund Distinguished Teaching Professors. Saturday, alumni enjoyed watching the Tar Heels take on Miami in football from the Blue Zone Terrace in Kenan Stadium.
“This is one of my favorite weekends of the year,” said Butch Fowler, MD ’66, Associate Dean for Medical Alumni Affairs. “Whenever we are able to bring students and alumni together, we are reminded of the strength of our School of Medicine, and we celebrate the culture that creates warm, engaged and community-minded Tar Heel Doctors.”
Among the highlights from the weekend:
- In the National Loyalty Fund Committee, we shared that the Loyalty Fund annually enhances the medical education of all of our students through scholarships and enrichment opportunities for research, travel, and local and community engagement for our students and faculty. This year, Medical Alumni have proudly funded 84 Loyalty Fund Scholarships used to recognize students who demonstrate strength of character, leadership service and outstanding community contributions.
- Vice Dean for Education Julie Byerley and leadership from the Medical Foundation of NC shared the medical education priorities in the Campaign for Carolina. These priorities underscore the priorities already funded by the Loyalty Fund, and will include helping to raise a new medical education building to deliver a modern medical education.
- Dean Roper updated alumni on the State of our Medical School and assured us that education is central to the conversations to form a joint operating company with Carolinas HealthCare System. The new structure is expected to improve access to and delivery of medical education from our UNC School of Medicine.
- Alumna Sheri Jordan, MD ’85, who is Associate Professor of Radiology at UNC, shared the latest on the ways Radiology is impacting the treatment of breast cancer today.
- Kathryn Blew and Mona Xiao, both MD Class of 2018 and Co-CEOs of SHAC, shared what today’s clinic looks like as it celebrates 50 years of providing free clinical care in our community.
- At the Alumni Loyalty Banquet, we honored scholarship and leadership by recognizing our Loyalty Fund Associates, Loyalty Fund Scholarships and Teaching Professorship donors. Kenya McNeal-Trice, Associate Professor of Pediatrics, and Ashley Cairns, Class of 2020, shared the impact of alumni support on their experience at UNC.
- We enjoyed a beautiful fall day of UNC Football in the Blue Zone terrace.
Thank you to all who attended, and for those who weren’t there, we hope you can join us for a future weekend.
Save the date for our Spring Medical Alumni Weekend and Milestone Class Reunions, celebrating MD alumni from ’3 and ’8 class years: April 13-14, 2018.