Trans-Catheter Aortic Valve Replacement (TAVR)
- You will consume clear liquids, then Ensure 1 hour before arrival time.
- Includes baseline blood pressure and ideal body weight assessments.
- Grip strength test
- Quality of life questionnaires
- Five meter walk tests
- Assessments of activities of daily living
Preoperative Patient Education and Wellness Programs
- In-depth patient and family education about procedure and post-operative expectations
- Referral to Clinical Walking Program at UNC Wellness
- Referral to physical therapist and nutritionist when appropriate
- You will be provided with an incentive spirometer and educated on its use. You will be encouraged to record their daily progress in a log book, which will also be provided.
- Will be given within 1 hour of incision.
Tailored Anesthesia Care
- Evidence-based, best practice recommendations will be used throughout the surgery to ensure individualized blood pressure management, prevention of blood clots, careful IV fluid administration, and medication administration.
Postoperative Pain Management
- Pain will be treated with several different medications to target different pain receptors.
Pulmonary Wellness Strategy
- You will be encouraged to use incentive spirometry and to use a bedside log book to record maximum volume efforts each hour while awake.
- Daily ambulation goals will be set by the medical team and their completion encouraged by nursing staff.