Ellen Roberts, PhD, MPH, Chair, Membership Committee
Membership Committee Members:
Julie Byerley, MD, MPH; Kurt Gilliland, PhD; Marco Aleman, MD; Peadar Noone, MD; John Perry, MD; Kathleen Rao, PhD; Howard Reisner, PhD; Beat Steiner, MD, MPH; Anthony Viera, MD, MPH, Patricia White, MD; Todd Zakrajsek, PhD
Membership Application Process 2015
The application process for the Academy of Educators (AOE) is outlined below.
The goals of the Academy are to:
1) Promote and support excellence in teaching and the work and career paths of excellent teachers.
2) Promote and fund curricular innovation, evidence-based curricular change and a scholarly approach to the education mission.
3) Provide a forum for education leadership and advice for the Dean, Vice Dean for Medical Education and the leadership of the curriculum.
The AOE, which started in 2006, currently has 293 faculty and resident members. We seek faculty who are committed teachers of medical students and residents.
2015 Application Timeline
- Tuesday, February 3, 2015 – Call for nominations goes to all School of Medicine Chairs and all faculty. Faculty members interested in joining the AOE are strongly encouraged to contact their Chair regarding the nomination process.
- Tuesday, March 3, 2015 – Deadline for nomination endorsements from Department Chairs.
- Monday, March 23, 2015 – Deadline for receiving completed applications from all nominees.
- Monday, March 30, 2015 - Selection Committee meets to select new members.
- Early April, 2015 – New members are announced.
- Wednesday, May 27, 2015 – Evening of Educational Scholarship and induction of new members.
Faculty members of all departments within the School of Medicine, including AHEC, are eligible to apply to the AOE after two years of faculty appointment. Faculty new to the institution with extensive educational experience may be selected as members before two years on faculty at UNC. Interested individuals are encouraged to ask their Chairs, or designee, to nominate them.
Successful applicants will need to document accomplishments in ONE or more of the following six areas:
- Direct teaching or mentoring, including didactic or clinical teaching of medical students, residents, fellows, graduate students, Post Docs, or other faculty
- Instructional development and curriculum design (including the development of medical education resources)
- Student or resident advising and mentoring
- Educational administration and leadership
- Educational research
- Continuing medical education resources
Academy membership will be awarded to faculty members who demonstrate excellence in teaching over the course of the most recent five years based on student, resident and peer assessments.
Membership will also be awarded to faculty members who demonstrate leadership by playing a major role in curriculum management and/or innovation as evidenced by chairing major committees, directing courses and/or engaging in education scholarship.
- Updated CV. Applicants are encouraged to use the highlighting function in Word to highlight activities, awards, and publications that should be considered in support of this application.
- Personal Statement. Describe activities and accomplishments that support “superior achievement” in at least one of the six categories mentioned above. Also include why membership in the AOE is being requested. This narrative may not exceed two single-spaced pages.
- Letter of endorsement and support from nominator. The letter of support should indicate why this individual has been chosen for membership over other good faculty in the department. In addition, the letter should include a summary of the faculty member's student or resident evaluations, if relevant to the application.
- At least one and no more than two additional letters from other faculty members or peers who are familiar with your contributions to medical student or resident teaching. If you teach in a School of Medicine course or clerkship, it is important for one of the letters to be from the course or clerkship director who should also comment on the faculty member’s student evaluations and curricular innovations, as applicable. Similarly, if you primarily teach residents, one letter should be from the Director of the Residency program in which you teach, commenting on resident evaluations and educational innovations as applicable.
- Please submit your membership application to the following portal: https://uncsom.submittable.com/submit