Email: xzhou at bios dot unc dot edu
PhD Candidate, Biostatistics, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, NC
MS, Biostatistics, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, NC
MS, Chemistry, Peking University, Beijing, China
BS, Chemistry, Peking University, Beijing, China
Statistician and Senior Statistician, RTI Health Solutions, RTI International, 2003- present
Graduate Research Assistant, School of Dentistry, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, 2002-2003
Analysis and model diagnosis of longitudinal data involving missing data
Image data analysis
Application of statistics in observational and clinical studies
Honors and Awards
Early Career Author Award, RTI International, 2009
Highly Published Author Award, RTI International, 2009
Susan P. Baker Research Paper Prize, the University of North Carolina Injury Prevention Research Center, 2003
1. Johannes CB, Le TK, Zhou X, Johnston JA, Dworkin RH. The Prevalence of Chronic Pain in United States Adults: Results of an Internet-based Survey. Journal of Pain. 25 Aug2010. [Epub ahead of print]
2. Pockros PJ, Hamzeh FM, Martin P, Lentz E, Zhou X , Govindarajan S, Lok AS. Histologic outcomes in hepatitis C-Infected patients with varying degrees of virologic response to interferon-based treatments. Hepatology. 16 Jun 2010. [Epub ahead of print]
3. Stanford RH, Gilsenan AW, Ziemiecki R, Zhou X , Lincourt WR, Ortega H. Predictors of Uncontrolled asthma in adult and pediatric patients: analysis of the Asthma Control Characteristics and Prevalence Survey Studies (ACCESS). J Asthma. 2010 Apr;47(3):257-62. doi: 10.3109/02770900903584019
4. Pendergast K, Wolf A, Sherrill B, Zhou X, Aronne LJ, Caterson I, et al. Impact of waist circumference difference on health-care cost among overweight and obese subjects: the PROCEED cohort. Value Health. 2010;13(4):402-10. Epub 26 Jan 2010.
5. Zhou X, Cella D, Cameron D, Amonkar MM, Segreti A, Stein S, et al. Lapatinib plus capecitabine versus capecitabine alone for HER2+ (ErbB2+) metastatic breast cancer: quality-of-life assessment. Breast Cancer Res Treat. 2009;117(3):577-89. Epub 20 Jan 2009; doi:10.1007 /s10549-009-0310-8.
6. Zhou X, Nonnemaker J, Sherrill B, Gilsenan AW, Coste F, West R. Attempts to quit smoking and relapse: factors associated with success or failure from the ATTEMPT cohort study. Addict Behav. 2009;34(4):365-73. Epub 24 Nov 2008; doi:10.1016/j.addbeh.2008.11.013.
7. Cook SF, Lanza L, Zhou X, Sweeney CT, Goss D, Hollis K, et al. Gastrointestinal side effects in chronic opioid users: results from a population-based survey. Aliment Pharmacol Ther. 2008;27(12):1224-32. Epub 21 Mar 2008.
8. Williams RE, Kalilani L, DiBenedetti DB, Zhou X, Granger AL, Fehnel SE, et al. Frequency and severity of vasomotor symptoms among peri- and postmenopausal women in the United States. Climacteric. 2008;11(1):32-43.
9. Williams RE, Kalilani L, DiBenedetti DB, Zhou X, Fehnel SE, Clark RV. Healthcare seeking behavior and treatment of menopausal symptoms among peri- and postmenopausal women in the United States. Maturitas. 2007;58(4):348-58. Epub 25 Oct 2007.
10. West R, Zhou X. Is nicotine replacement therapy for smoking cessation effective in the “real world”? Findings from a prospective multinational cohort study. Thorax. 2007; 62:998-1002. Epub 15 Jun 2007.
11. West R, Gilsenan A, Coste F, Zhou X, Brouard R, Nonnemaker J, et al. The ATTEMPT cohort: a multinational longitudinal study of predictors, patterns, and consequences of smoking cessation: introduction and evaluation of Internet recruitment and data collection methods. Addiction. 2006 Sep;101(9):1352-61.
12. Phillips C, White RP Jr, Shugars DA, Zhou X. Risk factors associated with prolonged recovery and delayed healing after third molar surgery. J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2003;61(12):1436-48.
1. Amonkar MM, Sherrill B, Zhou X. A Review of the Impact of Lapatinib on Health-Related Quality of Life of Patients With Newly Diagnosed and Refractory Metastatic Breast Cancer. Poster presented at 2010 Breast Cancer Symposium; October, 2010. National Harbor, MD.
2. Chung RT, Di Bisceglie A, Poordad FF, Hassanein T, Zhou X, Lentz E, et al. Association of host pharmacodynamic effects and virologic response to Peginterferon Alfa-2a/Ribavirin in patients with chronic hepatitis C. Accepted as a Poster of Distinction. Poster presented at Digestive Disease Week; May 2010. New Orleans, LA.
3. Johannes C, Le TK, Zhou X, Johnston J, Dworkin R. Treatment seeking behavior of adults with chronic lower back pain and chronic osteoarthritis pain: descriptive results from a population survey. Poster presented at the 29th Annual Scientific Meeting of the American Pain Society; May 2010. Baltimore, MD.
4. Chung RT, Di Bisceglie A, Poordad FF, Hassanein T, Zhou X, Lentz E, et al. Association of host pharmacodynamic effects and virologic response to Peginterferon Alfa-2a/Ribavirin in patients with chronic hepatitis C. Poster presented at the International Liver Congress 2010 (49th annual meeting of the European Association for the Study of the Liver); April 2010. Vienna, Austria.
5. Khan SA, Zagar AJ, Hayes CP, DiBenedetti DB, Zhou X, Price M, Van Brunt DL. Assessment of type 2 diabetes mellitus patients with and without symptoms of ADHD: patient characteristics and resource utilization data from an internet-based survey. Poster presented at ISPOR’s Annual International Meeting; May 2009. Orlando FL.
6. Zhou X, Segreti A, Cameron D, Geyer C, Cella D, Amonkar M, et al. Effect of lapatinib plus capecitabine (L+C) on quality of life (QOL) compared to capecitabine (C) alone in ErbB2+ metastatic breast cancer (MBC): an exploratory analysis. Poster presented and selected for a poster discussion at 2008 the American Society of Clinical Oncology annual meeting; May-June 2008. Chicago, IL. J Clin Oncol (Meeting Abstracts) 2008 26(15S): 9532.
7. Zhou X, Segreti A, Cella D, Cameron D, Geyer C, Amonkar M, et al. Lapatinib plus capecitabine versus capecitabine alone for ErbB2-positive metastatic breast cancer (MBC) – Quality of Life (QOL) assessment. Poster presented and selected for a poster discussion at 6th European Breast Cancer Conference; April 2008. Berlin, Germany.
8. Zhou X, Sherrill B, Wang J. Assessing baseline and post-baseline effects in repeated measures data analyses: an example using smoking cessation data. Presented at Joint Statistical Meeting; July-August 2007. Salt Lake City, UT.
9. Cook SF, Bell T, Sweeney CT, Goss DM, Zhou X. Severity of constipation-associated GI symptoms related to opioid treatment in chronic pain patients: PAC-SYM questionnaire results from the OPIOID survey. Poster presented at the 26th Annual Scientific Meeting of the American Pain Society; May 2007. Washington, DC.
10. Zhou X, Radigue C, Allshouse A, Gilsenan A. In Europe, how representative are overweight/obese subjects recruited via the Internet? Poster presented at the ISPOR 9th Annual International Society for Pharmacoeconomics and Outcomes Research (ISPOR) European Congress; October 2006. Copenhagen, Denmark.
11. Williams RE, DiBenedetti DB, Zhou X, Fehnel SE, Clark RV. The menopause epidemiology (MEPI) study: vasomotor symptom results from a large population-based study. Poster presented at the 17th Annual Meeting of The North American Menopause Society; October 2006. Nashville, TN.
12. Williams RE, DiBenedetti DB, Zhou X, Fehnel SE, Clark RV. Healthcare seeking behavior among peri- and post-menopausal women: results from the US population-based MEPI study. Poster presented at the 17th Annual Meeting of The North American Menopause Society, Nashville, TN. October 2006.
13. Gilsenan A, Zhou X, Coste F, Allshouse A. Comparison of data from a US National Survey (NHANES) with data from a cohort recruited from the Internet. Poster presented at the 22nd International Conference on Pharmacoepidemiology and Therapeutic Risk Management; August 2006. Lisbon, Portugal.
14. Zhou X, Radigue C, Maneval F, Coste F.S. Validity of data collected from an Internet-based cohort study. Poster presented at the 8th Annual International Society for Pharmacoeconomics and Outcomes Research (ISPOR) European Congress; November 2005. Florence, Italy.
15. Gilsenan A, Zhou X, Tennis P, Andrews E, Coste F, Radigue C. Should we believe results obtained from an Internet-based cohort study? Podium presentation at the 21st International Conference on Pharmacoepidemiology and Therapeutic Risk Management; August 2005. Nashville, TN.
16. Gilsenan A, Tennis P, Andrews E, Zhou X, Coste F, Radigue C. Is it feasible to conduct a cohort study via the Internet? Poster presented at the 21st International Conference on Pharmacoepidemiology and Therapeutic Risk Management; August 2005. Nashville, TN.
17. DiBenedetti DM, Fehnel S, Granger A, Zhou X, Williams R. Quality of life and the prevalence of vasomotor symptoms in a population-based sample of peri- and post-menopausal women. Poster presented at the 12th Annual Conference of the International Society for Quality of Life Research (ISOQOL); October 2005. San Francisco, CA.
18. Gimeno V, Castellsague J, Maguire A, Eaton S, McQuay LJ, Zhou X, Perez-Gutthann S. Gastrointestinal and cardiovascular characterization of users of Valdecoxib and other COX-2 specific inhibitors. Podium presentation at the 20th International Conference on Pharmacoepidemiology and Therapeutic Risk Management; August 2004. Bordeaux, France.
19. Manjunath R, Kim S, Zhou X, Schnoll S. Society burden of prescription drug misuse and abuse: a prevalence study of prescription analgesics and anxiolytics. Oral presentation at the College on Problems of Drug Dependence 66th Annual Scientific Meeting; June 2004. San Juan, Puerto Rico.
20. Curry SJ, Fiore MC, West R, Sullivan SD, Nonnemaker J, Zhou X, et al. Preliminary data from assessment toward tobacco economical and medical prospective trial (ATTEMPT)—a global longitudinal cohort study of the natural history of quit attempts. Poster presented at the Society for Research on Nicotine and Tobacco’s 10th Annual Meeting; February 2004. Phoenix, AZ.