Dr. Yap's major research interest lies in diffusion MRI and its application to the characterization of brain white matter connectivity. He has made vital contributions to advancing innovative neurotechnologies for human brain mapping by developing novel algorithms for studying white matter circuitry in the human brain. His current research focuses on the clinical application of these technical innovations, as well as the development of cutting-edge neuroimaging technologies. In particular, he has employed a fiber-based approach to characterize brain white-matter connectivity of pediatric subjects, giving fundamentally important neuropsychological insights into human brain development in the first years of life. Current efforts are being directed at extending this framework to incorporate information from different imaging modalities (structural MRI + functional MRI + diffusion MRI), and applying this novel analysis paradigm to a number of important clinical studies, including Alzheimer's disease, schizophrenia, and multiple sclerosis, for both prognosis and diagnosis purposes.
1. P.-T. Yap, G. Wu, H. Zhu, W. Lin, D. Shen, "TIMER: Tensor Image Morphing for Elastic Registration," NeuroImage, vol. 47, no. 2, pp. 549-563, 2009.
2. P.-T. Yap, G. Wu, H. Zhu, W. Lin, D. Shen, "F-TIMER: Fast Tensor Image Morphing for Elastic Registration," IEEE Transactions on Medical Imaging, vol. 29, no. 5, pp. 1192-1203, 2010.
3. P.-T. Yap, Y. Chen, H. An, Y. Yang, J. H. Gilmore, W. Lin, and D. Shen, "SPHERE: SPherical Harmonic Elastic REgistration of HARDI data," NeuroImage, vol. 55, no. 2, pp. 545-556, 2011.
4. P.-T. Yap, J.H. Gilmore, W. Lin, D. Shen, "PopTract: Population-Based Tractography," IEEE Transactions on Medical Imaging, vol. 30, no. 10, pp. 1829 - 1840, 2011.
5. C.-Y. Wee, P.-T. Yap, W. Li, K. Denny, J.N. Brownyke, G.G. Potter, K.A. Welsh-Bohmer, L. Wang, D. Shen, "Enriched White-Matter Connectivity Networks for Accurate Identification of MCI Patients," NeuroImage, vol. 54, no. 3, pp. 1812-1822, 2011.
6. P.-T. Yap, Y. Fan, Y. Chen, J. Gilmore, W. Lin, D. Shen, "Development Trends of White Matter Connectivity in the First Years of Life," PLoS ONE, vol. 6, no. 9, pp. e24678, 2011.
7. P. Zhang, M. Niethammer, D. Shen, P.-T. Yap, "Large Deformation Diffeomorphic Registration of Diffusion-Weighted Images," MICCAI 2012, Nice, France, Oct. 1-5, 2012.
8. P.-T. Yap, D. Shen, "Resolution Enhancement of Diffusion-Weighted Images by Local Fiber Profiling," MICCAI 2012, Nice, France, Oct. 1-5, 2012.
9. P.-T. Yap, D. Shen, "Spatial Transformation of DWI Data Using Non-Negative Sparse Representation," IEEE Transactions on Medical Imaging, vol. 31, no. 11, pp. 2035-2049, 2012.
10. P.-T. Yap, H. An, Y. Chen, D. Shen, "The Non-Local Bootstrap - Estimation of Uncertainty in Diffusion MRI," Information Processing in Medical Imaging (IPMI 2013), Asilomar, California, Jun. 29 - Jul. 3, 2013.