The Pediatric Sedation Excellence program aims to provide a coordinated approach to improving the quality and safety of pediatric sedations at UNC Hospitals.
- Decrease adverse events (any injury caused by medical care) from pediatric sedations as recorded in the Pediatric Sedation Research Consortium (PSRC) database to PSRC benchmark at 5%
- Eliminate unplanned admissions/increased level of care from pediatric sedations
- Eliminate Pediatric Rapid Response calls related to pediatric sedations
- Increase utilization of the PSRC database among units performing pediatric sedations
- 100% pediatric sedations use end-tidal carbon dioxide, unless contra-indicated
- Increase satisfaction among patients who receive procedural sedation and their families
- Parent representation on all committees and projects related to pediatric sedation
- Increase the percentage of MRI scans completed without use of sedation medication
- Increase the percentage of MRI scans completed while using distraction technology (MRI-compatible goggles)
For the list of pediatric sedation qualified practitioners, click here.