The CHER Research Summer Program Fellowship (CRSP) is an experiential opportunity for current UNC School of Medicine students to be involved in a community-engaged research project. CHER aims to foster development and implementation of student-led projects aimed at addressing health disparities in North Carolina.
Each award allots up to $5,000 for each successful applicant. At the completion of the Summer Research Program, CRSP trainees provide a formal presentation of their project at a CHER event.
The student can apply to be involved in either two ways:
- Participate and contribute to one of many projects within CHER working with post-docs, students, community members, and other CHER associates
- Create and conduct an individual research project in North Carolina that contributes to the mission of CHER, under the supervision of CHER researchers
How to apply?
Eligibility and Expectations
- Applicant must be a full-time, currently enrolled student at the UNC School of Medicine and complete the application requirements listed as follows.
- This is a full-time commitment. Other summer obligations or competing activities not recommended.
- Upon acceptance into this program, some pre-work in Spring 2020 will be expected (IRB approvals, project preparation, and training). Expect 2 – 4 meetings / month, March – May. (Our Center wants to ensure you are best prepared with your time during the summer!)
Rules for submission
1. Complete the online application. Includes the following:
- Personal and contact information
- Short essays
- Essay 1: Describe your research experiences related to health equity and/or disparities (up to 1500 characters with spaces).
- Essay 2: Describe your service experiences related to health equity and/or disparities (up to 1500 characters with spaces).
- Research Proposal (upload; see additional instructions below)
- Letter of intent describing your interest in health equity/disparity research and readiness for CRSP (upload)
- CV /Resume (upload)
(If you have issues with the link above, copy and paste the following URL into your browser: https://unc.az1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_dnfZ6jmfhYKk7Kl)
Describe which CHER project you would like to participate and contribute to, and why. Please include the following in your proposal:
- Who did you speak with at CHER?
- What is your project of interest?
- Why are you interested in the project?
- What research question(s) do you propose to investigate?
- Why would you be a good fit for the project?
Please note that you must contact one of our staff members in order to learn more about a CHER project that you can join in order for you to submit a project proposal.
Individual Research Project (1 page, Font: Times New Roman 12, 1 inch margins)
Please include the following in your proposal:
- Introduction/Background (including research question)
- Project timeline
- Proposed budget
Please note that it is not required for you to meet with one of our research staff. However, if you do have questions, please feel free to reach out to us at email@example.com
2. Submission of LOR by deadline directly to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Letter of Recommendation: To be provided by a faculty member who can describe your research or service in health equity and/or disparity; faculty member must send letter directly to email@example.com
3. The following item will be requested by CHER separately
- Official medical school transcript: CHER will work with Student Affairs and the Office of the Registrar to obtain each applicant’s official medical school transcript.
- (UPDATED) Application Submission: Completed online application and emailed documents are now due Friday, January 17, 2020 at 4:00 p.m. EST.
- Selection: Announcement of successful applications will be sent via email by Friday, January 31, 2020.
- Summer Research Program: End of May – July 2020 (Note: Program may be extended to accommodate lengthier research timelines.)
Support for this fellowship is provided by…