Navy blue background has diamonds and starbursts. A spotlight icon shines on a circular image of Caroline Taheri. A label reads "In the spotlight." Below the label is the text "Caroline Taheri."

by Abby Arcuri

Learning about the paths that brought CHER members to the center is a great way to get to know each other. Find out more about the path of a new member, Caroline Taheri.

Taheri’s journey involves one summer when she watched 98 movies in only 65 days. Then, more of her experiences in school and work built up her passion for public health evaluation.

Read this staff spotlight to learn more about Taheri and how she came to CHER.

Tell us about your role at CHER. What’s your position and focus?

I will be working as an evaluation research assistant on the RADx-UP and Building Veteran Healthy Communities (BVHC) projects through Abacus.

What is the path that brought you to CHER?

I graduated with an MPH in health behavior from the UNC Gillings School of Global Public Health in May 2023.

While pursuing my degree, I took coursework and pursued professional opportunities in evaluation. I designed survey instruments and shared these through Qualtrics, analyzed surveys using various software, prepared focus groups and interview guides, conducted interviews, and transcribed and analyzed these interviews using software.

These experiences made me realize I was passionate about public health evaluation and interested in pursuing a career in the field.

After graduating, I worked as a research assistant with the UNC School of Medicine where I continued to analyze survey responses, transcribe interviews and analyze qualitative responses.

I am excited to bring my experiences to CHER and continue to grow my skills in this position!

What are the goals you have for yourself while being at CHER?

My goal is to collaborate with Abacus and CHER staff on equitable evaluation across both the RADxUP and BVHC projects.

I also hope to gain additional skills in qualitative and quantitative analyses and data visualization.

What are some challenges you have faced in your field of work?

One of the biggest challenges I see in my work is sharing findings with individuals who work outside of academia and research and who may be interested in or impacted by my work.

I hope to prioritize implementing methods for disseminating findings across diverse populations.

What’s a fun fact about you?

A fun fact about me is that I love movies! One summer I watched 98 in 65 days!