Craig A. Waleed, Ed.D.
Postdoctoral Research Associate
Ed.D. | St. John Fisher College, Rochester, New York | Executive Leadership
M.S. | The College At Brockport State University of New York | Mental Health Counseling
B.S. | The College At Brockport State University of New York | Health Science
Craig Waleed is an educator, counselor, certified Restorative Practices group facilitator, author and motivational speaker dedicated to excellence in teaching and scholarship and disrupting the community-to-prison pipeline. Waleed is devoted to educating and motivating others to challenge and overcome many of life’s impediments and living a more rewarding experience.
Waleed completed his doctoral studies in Executive Leadership from St. John Fisher College in Rochester, NY. His career journey includes:
- Serving as a substance abuse counselor.
- Developing and managing reentry initiatives for post-incarcerated citizens.
- Teaching mental health counseling and communication courses at The College at Brockport State University of New York, and Monroe Community College in Rochester, NY.
Waleed’s passion has led him to work closely with students on several college campuses and participate in several community panels exploring carceral matters. His accomplishments include:
- Guest speaker at TEDx SingSing 2020.
- Several podcast guest appearances.
- Leading Restorative Practices Training.
- D.E.I. (Diversity, Equity, Inclusion) consultant for various organizations.
- Releasing his autobiography, Prison to Promise: A Chronicle of Healing and Transformation (August 2, 2020).
HEALTH EQUITY FOCUSCommunity engagement
- What Aspects of Emotional Intelligence Help Former Prisoners Make Decisions to Desist Crime? | This is the first study to look at emotional intelligence (EI) components formerly incarcerated men considered important for post-prison criminal desistance. This study explored six former New York state male prisoner’s individual experiences developing EI competencies, and how those EI skills contributed to their post-release decisions to desist crime.
- Prison to Promise: A Chronicle of Healing and Transformation | This is an autobiographical book detailing how Dr. Waleed used higher education to help transform his life from prison to promise.