Jada L. Brooks, Ph.D., MSPH, R.N.
PhD | Duke University | Nursing
MSPH | University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill | Epidemiology
BSN | Duke University | Nursing
Dr. Brooks is affiliated with UNC School of Nursing and her multidisciplinary program of community-based health research focuses on reducing health disparities and improving the health of American Indian children, with a particular focus on understanding the psychosocial factors related to family management of childhood asthma. Other areas of interest include epigenetics and health services research.
Dr. Brooks’ research program advances knowledge of inflammation as a potential biological pathway linking environmental pollutant exposure and psychosocial factors to cardiovascular disease in American Indian women. Her research program is designed to inform low-cost and culturally based psychosocial interventions that seek to reduce American Indian women’s susceptibility to environmental pollutants. The goal of this work is to promote environmental health equity among American Indian women.
HONORS AND AWARDS
AcademyHealth/Aetna Foundation Minority Scholar2013-2014, AcademyHealth/Aetna Foundation
Women to Watch Award Recipient2011, American Indian Women of Proud Nations
Southern Nursing Research Society CANS Dissertation Award2009, Southern Nursing Research Society
- Birthing and Parenting a Premature Infant in a Cultural Context. Jada L. Brooks, Diane Holdtich-Davis, Sharron L. Docherty, Christina S. Theodorou (2016). Qualitative Health Research 26(3): 387-398
- Maternal Depressive Symptoms and Healthcare Expenditures for Publicly Insured Children With Chronic Health Conditions. Jada L. Brooks, Heather Beil, Linda S. Beeber (2015). Maternal and Child Health Journal 19(4): 790-797
- Interactive Behaviors of American Indian Mothers and Their Premature Infants. Jada L. Brooks, Diane Holditch-Davis, Lawrence R. Landerman (2013). Research in Nursing and Health 36(6): 591-602
- Interactive Behaviors of Ethnic Minority Mothers and Their Premature Infants. Jada L. Brooks, Diane Holditch-Davis, Lawrence R. Landerman (2013). Journal of Obstetric, Gynecologic, and Neonatal Nursing 42(3): 357-368
- Exploring Modifiable Risk Factors for Wheezing in African American Premature Infants. Jada L. Brooks, Diane Holditch-Davis, Lawrence R. Landerman, Margaret Shandor Miles, Stephen C. Engelke (2011). Journal of Obstetric, Gynecologic, and Neonatal Nursing 40(3): 302-311