Laura Villa Torres, PhD, MSPH
Post Doctoral Research Associate
PhD | UNC Gillings School of Global Public Health | Health Behavior
MSPH | UNC Gillings School of Global Public Health | Health Behavior
Laura Villa Torres joined CHER in 2018. Her current research interests rely on the health disparities lived by immigrants from Mexico in the United States, particularly among those living with limited documentation status. Laura’s methodological strengths are qualitative research and community-based participatory methods. As part of her postdoctoral experience, Laura will expand both her population focus and her methodological expertise.
HEALTH EQUITY FOCUSHealth disparities among migrant communities
- Transnationalism and health: A systematic literature review on the use of transnationalism in the study of the health practices and behaviors of migrants | Laura led a collaboration between researchers at the National Institute of Public Health in Mexico and UNC Gillings School of Public Health on a narrative review of the use of the Transnationalism Framework in empirical research on health-related behaviors and practices of migrant communities across borders.
- Social Networks, Migration, and HIV Testing Among Latinos in A new Immigrant Destination: Insights From a Qualitative Study. Clare Barrington, Anisha Gandhi, Adrienne Gill, Laura Villa Torres, Maria Priscila Brietzke, Lisa Hightow-Weidman (2017). Global Public Health : 1-13
- Marginalisation, Discrimination and the Health of Latino Immigrant Day Labourers in a Central North Carolina Community. Paul J. Fleming, Laura Villa-Torres, Arianna Taboada, Chelly Richards, Clare Barrington (2017). Health and Social Care in the Community 25(2): 527-537
- Transnationalism and Health: A Systematic Literature Review on the Use of Transnationalism in the Study of the Health Practices and Behaviors of Migrants. Laura Villa-Torres, Tonatiuh González-Vázquez, Paul J. Fleming, Edgar Leonel González-González, César Infante-Xibille, Rebecca Chavez, Clare Barrington (2017). Social Science and Medicine 183: 70-79
- Framing Young Childrens Oral Health: A Participatory Action Research Project. Chimere C. Collins, Laura Villa-Torres, Lattice D. Sams, Leslie P. Zeldin, Kimon Divaris (2016). PloS One 11(8): e0161728
- Engaging Men as Promotores De Salud: Perceptions of Community Health Workers Among Latino Men in North Carolina. Laura Villa-Torres, Paul J. Fleming, Clare Barrington (2015). Journal of Community Health 40(1): 167-174