The Carolina Ob/Gyn Interest Group, a.k.a "COGIG" was started in the fall of 2002 by UNC School of Medicine 1st years, Melinda Abernethy and Star Schreier. The goal of our organization is to broaden interest in and explore ideas related to the specific health care needs of women. In keeping with this mission, the group offers information and events that address:
- the nature of the work done by general Ob-Gyns and the Ob-Gyn subspecialties.
- the role of Ob/Gyns and other health care professionals in the integration of women's health care.
- medical malpractice and its impact on the field of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
- how to balance the demands of Ob/Gyn residency with our personal lives.
- the opportunities for Ob-Gyns to be involved in addressing women's health disparities and reproductive rights.
We would like to share our interest with as many students and professionals as possible and so we welcome interactions with other schools and organizations. For example, we are linked with the Duke Ob/Gyn Interest Group. Please let us know how we can help you set up a club at your school or how we can work with you. Besides hosting meetings and seminars, we also plan on being involved in improving the health of women in our community through service projects.