2. SOM General Information Related to Human Subjects Research in the Context of COVID-19
Reopening of human subjects research in UNC facilities is dependent on the following:
- University policy allowing research to ramp up
- OVCR approval to resume human subjects research activities involving direct participant contact
- University policy allowing non-essential employees back on campus
- Personal Protective equipment (PPE) is plentiful so that both healthcare workers have adequate PPE and investigators and participants have a mask at all face-to-face interactions
- Individuals follow the COVID-19 prevention rules of UNC Health and the medical director of the facility in which patient/participant-facing activities are occurring https://www.unchealthcare.org/coronavirus/
Pertinent information relevant to human subjects research may be found:
- COVID-19 Preparedness for Co-Workers and Providers (accessible only with a UNC Health domain account) https://unchcs.intranet.unchealthcare.org/Pages/2020/novel-coronavirus.aspx 1
- COVID-19 Information https://www.unchealthcare.org/coronavirus/
- OVCR: https://research.unc.edu/covid-19/
- OHRE: https://research.unc.edu/2020/03/10/ohre-irb-covid-19-update/
- SOM CRSO: https://www.med.unc.edu/crso/
Note Concerning Travel and Parking: Travel for UNC business is currently restricted to North Carolina and is not permitted outside of the state at this time. The University will release more information about travel when we receive further guidelines from the UNC System and the State. Information on changes to University parking policies and public transit can be found at the University Transportation & Parking website.
1. Some key documents from the UNC Health websites are replicated on CRSO website for those without UNCHCS intranet access https://www.med.unc.edu/crso/unc-healthcare-guidelines-for-covid-19/.