Phone.com Soft Phone Services to Support Text Messaging
Phone.com is an external vendor that provides communication services. UNC has executed a BAA with Phone.com to make these services permissible for use by UNC Chapel Hill research teams.
Services from phone.com include:
- Voice calling and voicemail
- Text messaging
- Sending (and receiving*) fax messages
- Video conferencing
*In order to receive fax messages, a dedicated phone number is required.
All features are accessible via a webpage and/or downloadable application and do not require a physical phone.
Click here to compare plans available.
Research teams wishing to utilize phone.com services are responsible for establishing individual accounts and paying fees directly. Please note: You will not be charged state taxes (per UNC’s state tax exemption), but standard federal fees will be added.
If you would like to establish an account with phone.com, please contact:
Caleb Gilsdorf, Phone.com Senior Account Executive/Supervisor
Be sure to remember:
- Participants must provide informed consent, both to participating in the study and to receiving unencrypted communications, before the study team sends text messages
- It is not permitted to include any PHI in text messages
- Content of text messages should be limited, for example:
- Appointment reminders
- Requests to complete activities (e.g., surveys)
- Reminders for participants to review an encrypted email or call the study team
- Review the OHRE FAQs on uncencypted communications