Welcome to UNC BIRCWH
The mission of our program is to promote recruitment, retention, and sustained advancement of biomedical careers in women’s health. Our Program philosophy is based on three central concepts: adaptability, diversity, and excellence. To achieve our mission the UNC BIRCWH program will:
- Provide mentored career development of junior scientists pursing women’s health or sex/gender research;
- Create interdisciplinary research teams to enhance women’s health research; and
- Facilitate the translation of these research findings to improve community health.
We expect UNC BIRCWH graduates will go on to become the next generation of leaders, teachers and mentors in women’s health and sex/gender research in the biomedical and pharmaceutical industry.
At UNC, research in women’s health is extensive and diverse. UNC BIRCWH mentors represent a multitude of backgrounds, though we have selected the following areas of research emphasis:
- Quantitative Pharmacology
- Nutrition, Obesity, and Diabetes
- Cancers Affecting Women
- Mental Health, Alcohol, and Substance Abuse
- HIV/Sexually Transmitted Diseases
These areas represent contemporary topics in biomedical research and encompass a broad range of topics from basic science to translational and clinical studies, health services, outcomes, and epidemiologic investigation. Learn more about UNC BIRCWH…