Who is a Cochlear Implant right for?
Cochlear implants are recommended when a person cannot hear well with hearing aids. The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has approved the use of cochlear implants for children who meet the specified criteria:
- Children at least 12 months of age
- Children with severe-to-profound hearing loss
- Children who are healthy enough to have the surgery
- Children whose families are motivated to follow through with therapy and full time device use.
- Who have no benefit from well fitted hearing aids that are worn all of the time, and
- No progress or change in auditory development
- Who are unable to understand at least 30% of the words with listening only tests