Jane Brice, MD, MPH
Professor of Emergency Medicine
Roy ’62 and Christine Hayworth Medical Alumni Distinguished Teaching Professor
- University of North Carolina School of Medicine, Chapel Hill, 1994
- Emergency Medicine, University of Pittsburgh, 1997
Post Graduate and Training
- Master’s degree in Epidemiology from University of North Carolina
- American Board of Emergency Medicine
Professional Societies and Memberships
- National Association of EMS Physicians (President-Elect)
- Society for Academic Emergency Medicine
- American College of Emergency Physicians
Special Honors and Awards
- Roy ’62 and Christine Hayworth Medical Alumni Distinguished Teaching Professorship (2010-2014)
- Fellow, Academy of Educators, UNC School of Medicine (2007-present)
- Women Leaders in Medicine Award (2011)
- Medical Student Research Mentor Award (2009)
- Frank Porter Graham Honor Society (2005)
- AAMC Humanism in Medicine Award (2005)
- Alpha Omega Alpha (2004)
- Prehospital emergency Care Editorial Excellence Award (2003)
- Socrates Award, UNC - DEM (2001)
- University of North Carolina School of Medicine Teaching Excellence Award (1999, 2001, 2004, 2005)
- Jean Hollister Award, SAEM (1997)
- Brice JH, Perina DG, Liu JM, Braude DA, Rinnert KJ, MacDonald RD. Development of an EMS curriculum. (In press at Prehospital Emergency Care for review. 23 typewritten pages. 2013)
- Patel MD, Brice JH, Moss C, Suchindran CM, Evenson KR, Rose KM, Rosamond WD. An Evaluation of Emergency Medical Services Stroke Protocols and Scene Times. (In press at Prehospital Emergency Care for review. 18 typewritten pages. 2013)
- Brice JH, Foster MB, Principe S, Moss C, Shofer FS, Falk RJ, Ferris ME, DeWalt DA. Single-item or two-item literacy screener to predict the S-TOFHLA among adult hemodialysis patients. (In press at Patient Education and Counseling. 17 typewritten pages. 2013)
- Kiechle ES, Norman K, Hnat A, DeWalt D, Brice JH. Comparison of Brief Health Literacy Screens in the Emergency Department (Submitted to Journal of Health Communication for review. 31 typewritten pages. 2013)
- Asimos AW, Ward S, Humphrey A, Brice JH, Enright D, Rosamond WD, Studnek J. A GIS Analysis of the Impact of a Statewide Acute Stroke EMS Routing Protocol on Community Hospital Bypass (Submitted to Stroke Research and Treatment for review. 2013)
- Hobgood CD, Matthew D, Woodyard DJ, Shofer FS, Brice JH. Death in the field: Teaching paramedics to deliver effective death notifications using the educational intervention “GRIEV_ING”. Prehospital Emergency Care. 17(4):501-10;October-December 2013.
- Lambert C, Vinson S, Shofer F, Brice J. The Relationship between Knowledge and Risk for Heart Attack and Stroke. Journal of Stroke and Cerebrovascular Disease. 22(7):996-1001; October 2013.
- Patel MD, Brice JH, Evenson KR, Rose KM, Suchindran CM, Rosamond WD. Emergency Medical Services Capacity for Prehospital Stroke Care in North Carolina. Preventing Chronic Disease. 2013;10:130035;September 2013.
- True N, Adedoyin J, Shofer F, Hasty E, Brice JH. Level of Disaster Preparedness in Patients Visiting the Emergency Department: Results of the Civilian Assessment of Readiness for Disaster (CARD) Survey. Prehospital and Disaster Medicine. 28(2):1-5;April 2013.
- Brice JH, Moss C, Purpura P, Delbridge TR. Epidemiology of Low-Level Bridge Jumping in Pittsburgh: A 10-Year Study. Prehospital Emergency Care. 17(2):155-61, April 2013.
- Tepper B, Brice JH, Hobgood CD. Evaluation of Radiation Exposure to Pediatric Trauma Patients. Journal of Emergency Medicine. 44(3):646–652, March 2013.
- Brice JH, Studnek JR, Bigham BL, Martin-Gill C, Custalow CB, Hawkins E, Morrison LJ. EMS Provider and Patient Safety during Response and Transport: Proceedings of an Ambulance Safety Conference. Prehospital Emergency Care. 16(1):3-19,January 2012.
- Patel P, Williams JG, Brice JH. Sustained ventricular fibrillation in an alert patient: preserved hemodynamics with a left ventricular assist device. Prehospital Emergency Care. 15(4):533-536, October-December 2011.
- Cabanas JG, Brice JH, De Maio VJ, Myers B, Hinchey PR. Field-induced Therapeutic Hypothermia for Neuroprotection after Out-of Hospital Cardiac Arrest: A Systematic Review of the Literature. Journal of Emergency Medicine. 40(4):400-9, April 2011.
- Blanchard IE, Brown LH; North American EMS Emissions Study Group (Brice JH). Carbon footprinting of North American emergency medical services systems. Prehospital Emergency Care. 15(1):23-9, January 2011.
- Mears GD, Rosamond WD, Lohmeier C, Murphy C, O'Brien E, Asimos AW, Brice JH. A link to improve stroke patient care: a successful linkage between a statewide emergency medical services data system and a stroke registry. Academic Emergency Medicine. 17(12):1398-404, December 2010.
- Mears GD, Pratt D, Glickman S, Brice JH, Glickman L, Cabanas J. The North Carolina Emergency Medical Services Data System: A Comprehensive Integrated EMS Quality Improvement Program Prehospital Emergency Care. 14(1):85-94, Jan-Mar 2010.
- Smith PC, Brice JH, Lee JY. The Relationship Between Functional Health Literacy and Adherence to Emergency Department Discharge Instructions Among Spanish-Speaking Patients. Journal of the National Medical Association. 104(11-12):521-7; Nov-Dec 2012.
- Foster M, Brice JH, Shofer F, Principe S, DeWalt D, Falk R, Ferris M. Personal Disaster Preparedness of Dialysis Patients in North Carolina. Clinical Journal of the American Society of Nephrology. 6(10):2478-84, October 2011.
- Jauch EC, Cucchiara B, Adeoye O, Meurer W, Brice J, Chan Y, Gentile N, Hazinski MF. Part 11: Adult Stroke: 2010 American Heart Association Guidelines for Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation and Emergency Cardiovascular Care. Circulation. 122: S818-S828, November 2, 2010.
Special Interests (Medical)
Emergency Medical Services, Access to Care, Health Literacy, Health Disparities, Pre-hospital care, Stroke, Stroke Care in the pre-hospital area, Disaster Medicine
Special Interests (Personal)
My family, Reading, Gardening