Matthew J. Scholer, MD, PhD, FACEP
Clinical Associate Professor of Emergency Medicine
Clinical Information Specialist, Carolina Center for Health Informatics
Office Phone: 919-843-2359
- New York Medical College, School of Medicine, 2000
- Emergency Medicine, University of North Carolina, 2003
Post Graduate Training
- PhD in Pharmacology, New York Medical College, 2000
- American Board of Emergency Medicine, 2004
Professional Societies and Membership
Special Honors and Awards
- Chief Resident, UNC Emergency Medicine Residency Program, 2003
- Biese KJ, Forbach CR, Medlin RP, Platts-Mills TF, Scholer MJ, McCall B, Shofer FS, LaMantia M, Hobgood C, Kizer JS, Busby-Whitehead J, Cairns CB. Computer-facilitated review of electronic medical records reliably identifies emergency department interventions in older adults. Acad Emerg Med, 2013 Jun;20(6):621-8.
- Glickman-SW, Shofer-FS, Wu-MC, Scholer-MJ, Ndubuizu-A, Peterson-ED, Granger-CB, Cairns-CB and Glickman-LT. Development and validation of a prioritization rule for obtaining an immediate 12-lead electrocardiogram in the emergency department to identify ST-elevation myocardial infarction, March 2012, Vol. 163 No. 3, pages 372-382.
- Chapman-WW, Dowling-JN, Baer A, Buckeridge D, Cochrane D, Conway, MA, Elkin P, Espino J, Gunn J, Hales C, Hutwagner L, Keller M, Larson C, Noe R, Okhmatovskaia A, Olson K, Paladini M, Scholer M, Sniegoski C, Thompson D and Lober B. Developing syndrome definitions based on consensus and current use, J Am Med Inform Assoc 2010;17: 595-601.
- Scholer-MJ, Ghneim-G, Wu-S, Westlake-M, Travers-D, Waller-AE, McCalla-A and Wetterhall-SF, Defining and Applying a Method for Improving the Sensitivity and Specificity of an Emergency Department Early Event Detection System, AMIA Annu Symp Proc. 2007 Oct 11:651-5.
- Travers-D, Wu-S, Scholer-MJ, Westlake-M, Waller-AE and McCalla-A, Evaluation of a Chief Complaint Pre-Processor for Biosurveillance, AMIA Annu Symp Proc. 2007 Oct 11:736-40.s
- Sickbert-Bennett-EE, Scholer-MJ, Butler-J, Travers-D, MacFarquhar-JK, Waller-AE and Ghneim-G, Evaluation of a Syndromic Surveillance System for the Detection of Acute Infectious Gastroenteritis Outbreaks — North Carolina, 2004, MMWR, August 26, 2005 (54, Suppl); 201.
Special Interests (Medical)
- Clinical and administrative research in the area of medical, clinical, research and public health informatics
- Checklist development
- Emergency medicine documentation and billing education.
- Completion of AMIA 10x10 Informatics Course offered in partnership with Oregon Health & Science University for the American College of Emergency Physicians, 2011
- Clinical Information Specialist, Carolina Center for Health Informatics, UNC Department of Emergency Medicine, 2003-present.
- Chair, Syndrome Definition Workgroup, NC DETECT (North Carolina Disease Event Tracking and Epidemiologic Collection Tool, www.ncdetect.org), 2004-2011.