Associate Residency Program Director
Division of Voice and Swallowing Disorders
website: UNC Voice Center
Medical and surgical treatment of voice and throat disorders including vocal paralysis/paresis, laryngopharyngeal reflux, laryngotracheal stenosis, benign and malignant neoplasms, and neurologic diseases including spasmodic dysphonia. Laryngeal botox, KTP laser and injection laryngoplasty.
- Appointment Scheduler: Shanta Beard (984) 974-3655
- Surgery Scheduler: Ali Turner (984) 974-3645
- Nurse: Michael Bain (984) 974-3631
- MD: Emory University School of Medicine, Atlanta, GA
- Residency: Otolaryngology/Head and Neck Surgery, UNC Hospitals, Chapel Hill, NC
- Fellowship: Laryngology, Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, New York, NY
- Assistant Professor
Division, Voice & Swallowing Disorders, Department of Otolaryngology and University of North Carolina Hospitals
- Clinical Instructor, Elmhurst & Queens Hospital Center
- Laryngology Fellow
Department of Otolaryngology Mount Sinai School of Medicine, New York, NY
CNN Medical Department, Dr. Sanjay Gupta, Atlanta, GA
- MCAT/DAT Instructor
Kaplan Educational Center, Athens, GA
Honors and Awards
2013: Triological Society Combined Sections Meeting: First place poster presentation; Laryngology/Bronchoesophagology. Scottsdale, AZ Jan 2013.
2012: The Pillsbury Leadership Award, UNC Department of Otolaryngology-Head & Neck Surgery Residency Program
2012: The Drake Foreign Body Award, UNC Department of Otolaryngology-Head & Neck Surgery Residency Program
2010: Representative, AAO-HNS Section for Residents and Fellows
2006-2007: Admissions Committee, Emory University School of Medicine
- Kimple AJ, Austin GK, Shah RN, Welch CM, Funkhouser WK, Zanation AM, Shockley WW. Polymorphous low-grade adenocarcinoma: A case series and determination of recurrence. Laryngoscope. 2014 Sep; epub ahead of print.
- Shah RN, Deal AM, Buckmire RA. Multi-dimensional voice outcomes after Type I gore-tex thyroplasty in patients with non-paralytic glottic incompetence: a subgroup analysis. Laryngoscope. 2013 Jul; 123(7):1742-5.
- Rawal RB, Shah RN, Zanation AM. Endonasal odontoidectomy for basilar impression and brainstem compression due to radiation fibrosis. Laryngoscope. 2013 Mar; 123(3):584-7.
- Shah RN, Leight WD, Patel MR, Surowitz, JB, Wong Y, Wheless, SA, Germanwala AV, Zanation AM. A controlled laboratory and clinical evaluation of a three-dimensional endoscope for endonasal sinus and skull base surgery. American Journal of Rhinology and Allergy. American Journal of Rhinology and Allergy. 2011 May; 25(3):141-4.
- Mckinney KA, Stadler ME, Wong Y, Shah RN, Rose AS, Zdanski CJ, Ebert CS, Wheless SA, Senior BA, Drake AF, Zanation AM. Transpalatal greater palatine canal injection: radioanatomic analysis of where to bend the needle for pediatric sinus surgery. American Journal of Rhinology and Allergy. 2010 Sep-Oct; 24(5)385-8.
- Tatreau JR, Patel MR, Shah RN, McKinney KA, Zanation AM. Anatomical limitations for endoscopic endonasal skull base surgery in pediatric patients. Laryngoscope. 2010;120 supple 4:S229.
- Tatreau JR, Patel MR, Shah RN, Mckinney KA, Wheless SA, Senior BA, Ewend MG, Germanwala AV, Ebert CS Jr, Zanation AM. Anatomical considerations for endoscopic endonasal skull base surgery in pediatric patients. Laryngoscope. 2010 Sep; 120(9):1730-7.
- Patel MR, Shah RN, Snyderman CH, Carrau RL, Germanwala AV, Kassam AB, Zanation AM. Pericranial flap for endoscopic anterior skull-base reconstruction: clinical outcomes and radioanatomic analysis of preoperative planning. Neurosurgery. 2010 Mar; 66(3):506-12.
- Shah RN, Surowitz JB, Patel MR, Huang BY, Snyderman CH, Carrau RL, Kassam AB, Germanwala AV, Zanation AM. Endoscopic pedicled nasoseptal flap reconstruction for pediatric skull base defects. Laryngoscope. 2009 Jun; 119(6):1067-75.
- Shah, RN, Parikh, SL, Johns, MM 3rd. Radiology Quiz Case1: Diagnosis: Tracheocele. Arch Otolaryngol Head and Neck Surg. 2007 Jul; 133(7):724, 726.
- Arkader A, Warner WC Jr, Horn BD, Shaw RN, Wells L. Predicting outcomes physeal fractures of the distal femur. J Pediatr Orthop. 2007 Sep; 27(6)703-8.
- Shah R, Gow K, Sobol SE. Outcome of thyroglossal duct cyst excision is independent of age or symptomatology. Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol. 2007 Nov; 71(11):1731-5.