Amelia F. Drake, MD, FACS
Newton D. Fischer Distinguished Professor of Otolaryngology/Head and Neck Surgery
Director, UNC Craniofacial Center (School of Dentistry)
Executive Associate Dean of Academic Programs, UNC School of Medicine
Pediatric otolaryngology, pediatric airway disorders, craniofacial anomalies.
- Appointments: (984) 974-6484
- Surgery Scheduler: Michelle Handy (919) 966-5179
- Nurse: Melanie Mackenzie (984) 974-3515
- Administrative Coordinator: Ellen Doutt (919) 966-3343
- MD: University of North Carolina School of Medicine, 1981
- Residency: Department of Surgery, University of Michigan Medical Center, 1981-1983
- Residency: Department of Otolaryngology/Head and Neck Surgery, University of Michigan Medical Center, 1983-87
- Fellowship: Children’s Hospital, Cincinnati, Ohio, 1987-1988
- Chief, Division of Pediatric Otolaryngology, Dept. of Otolaryngology/Head and Neck Surgery, UNC, 2001-present
- Professor, Dept. of Otolaryngology/Head and Neck Surgery, UNC, 2001-present
- Professor, Dept. of Pediatrics, UNC, 2001-present
- Director, UNC Craniofacial Center, UNC School of Dentistry, 2001-present
- Newton D. Fischer Distinguished Professor of Surgery, Otolaryngology/Head and Neck Surgery UNC, 1999 – present
- Associate Professor of Surgery/Otolarynogology, UNC, 1994-2001
- Associate Professor, Department of Pedicatrics, UNC, 1994-2001
- Assistant Professor, Department of Pediatrics, UNC, 1989-1994
- Assistant Professor of Surgery/Otolaryngoogy, University of Michigan School of Music, Ann Arbor, MI, 1988-1994
- Adjunct Professor, Vocal Pedagogy, University of Michigan Medical Center, Ann Arbor, MI, 1986-1987
- Vice Presidential Citation, Southern Section of the Triologic Society, January 2012.
- Senior Associate Fellow of the UNC School of Medicine Academy of Educators, 2008-2013
- Gabriel F. Tucker Award, for significant contributions to the field of pediatric laryngology, presented at the annual meeting of the American Laryngological Association, Chicago, Illinois, May 20, 2006.
- Who’s Who in Medical Sciences Education. 2005-present.
- Top Doctor in America, selected by Castle Connolly Medical Ltd. based on peer nominations, in “America’s Top Doctors” published in 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007
- Carrie L. Heike, Laura P. Stueckle, Erik T. Stuhaug, Luiz A. Pimenta, Amelia F. Drake, Daniela Vivaldi, Kathleen C.Y. Sie, Craig B. Birgfeld. Photographic Protocol for Image Acquisition in Craniofacial Microsomia. Head and Face Medicine Journal, December 23, 2011.
- McKinney K, Stadler M, Ebert C, Wong Y, Shah R, Rose A, Zdanski C, Drake A, Wheless S, Zanation A. Trans-palatal Greater Palatine Canal Injection: Radioanatomic Analysis of Where to Bend the Needle for Pediatric Sinus Surgery. Am J Rhinology. Accepted for publication, May 2010.
- Bryson P, Leight W, Zdanski C, Drake A, Rose A. High-Resolution Ultrasound in the Evaluation of Pediatric Recurrent Respiratory Papillomatosis. Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg, Vol. 135 (No. 3), 250-253, March 2009.
- Patel M, Zdanski C, Abode K, Reilly C, Malinzak E, Stein J, Harris W, Drake A. Experience of the School-Aged Child with Tracheostomy. Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol, 73 (2009), 975-980, May 31, 2009.
- Demke J, Bassim M, Patel MR, Dean S, Rahbar R, van Aalst JA, Drake A. Parental Perceptions and Morbidity: Tracheostomy and Pierre Robin Sequence. Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol, 2008 Oct;72(10):15 09-16. Epub 2008 Aug 20.
- Eapen RJ, Buss E, Grose JH, Drake AF, Dev M, Hall JW. The development of frequency weighting for speech in children with a history of otis media with effusion. Ear Hear. 2008 Oct;29(5):718-24.
- Sie KC, Starr JR, Bloom DC, Cunningham M, de Serres LM, Drake AF, Elluru RG, Haddad J Jr, Hartnick C, Macarthur C, Milczuk HA, Muntz HR, Perkins JA, Senders C, Smith ME, Tollefson T, Willging JP, Zdanski CJ. Multicenter interrater and intrarater reliability in the endoscopic evaluation of velopharyngeal insufficiency. Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2008 Jul;134(7):757-63.
- Bloom DC, Starr JR, Cunningham M, Davis T, de Serres LM, Drake AF, Haddad J, Hartnick C, MacArthur C, Milczuk HA, Muntz HR, Perkins JA, Senders C, Smith ME, Tollefson T, Willging JP, Zdanski CJ, Sie K. Multicenter inter-rater and intra-rater reliability in the evaluation of velopharyngeal insufficiency. Submitted, Archives of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery.
- Muhlebach MS, Miller MB, Moore C, Wedd JP, Drake AF, Leigh MW. Are lower airway or throat cultures predictive of sinus bacteriology in cystic fibrosis? Pediatric Pulmonology 2006 Mar;41(5):445-451.
- Leighton S, Drake AF. Airway Considerations in Craniofacial Patients. In: Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery Clinics of North America; 16 (2004) 555-566.
- Bassim MK, Drake AF. Tympanostomy tube obstruction related to ototopical drug therapy. Ear Nose Throat 2005 July;84(7):416-7.
- Ebert CS, Drake AF. The impact of sleep-disordered breathing on cognition and behavior in children: A review and meta-synthesis of the literature. Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery 2004 Dec;131(6):814-26.
- White DR, Zdanski CJ, Drake AF. Comparison of Pediatric Airway Foreign Bodies Over Fifty Years. Southern Medical Journal 2004 May;97(5):434-436.
- Keiger CJH, Case LD, Kendal-Reed M, Jones KR, Drake AF, Walker JC. Nicotinic Cholinergic Receptor Expression in the Human Nasal Mucosa. Annals of Otology, Rhinology, & Laryngology 2003;112(1):77-84.
- Cohen S, Pine HS, Drake AF. Use of rigid and flexible bronchoscopy among pediatric otolaryngologists. Arch Otoaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2001; 127:505-509.