Brian D. Thorp, MD
Otolaryngology/Head and Neck Surgery, benign and malignant skull base tumors, pituitary tumors, encephaloceles, cerebrospinal fluid rhinorrhea, chronic sinus disease, allergic fungal sinusitis
- Appointments: (984) 974-6484 opt. 2
- Surgery Scheduler: Carla Sibrian (984) 974-2127
- Nurse: Kathy Tommerdahl, RN, BSN (984) 974-3518
- Administrative Coordinator: Donna Woodard (919) 843-3628
- Fellowship: Advanced Rhinology, Oncology, and Open/Endoscopic Skull Base Surgery, University of North Carolina School of Medicine, 2014-2015
- Residency: Department of Otolaryngology/Head and Neck Surgery, University of North Carolina School of Medicine, 2009-2014
- MD: Eastern Virgina Medical School in Norfolk, VA, 2005-2009
- BS: James Madison University, 2001-2005
- Assistant Professor, Department of Otolaryngology/Head and Neck Surgery, University of North Carolina School of Medicine, 2015-present
- Clinical Instructor, Department of Otolaryngology/Head and Neck Surgery, University of North Carolina School of Medicine, 2014-2015
- The William W. Shockley, MD Silver Owl Award for Excellence in Teaching 2013-2014, June 2014
- Robert C. Cefalo House Officer Award 2013-2014, December 2013
- The Mark C. Weissler, MD Iron Man Award for Extra Effort 2012-2013, June 2013
- WakeMed Excellence in Residency Award 2012-2013, June 2013
- Senior Member, Al[ha Omega Alpha Honor Medical Society Gamma Chapter, Eastern Virginia Medical School
- Eastern Virginia Medical School Alumni Association Senior Student Award, May 2009
- McClurg SW, Thorp BD, and Senior BA. Surgery for Sphenoid Sinus Disease (2015). Practical and Surgical Management of Chronic Rhinosinusitis. Edited by Dr. Pete S. Batra and Dr. Joseph K. Han. Springer Publications.
- Thorp BD, Rodriguez KD, and Senior BA. Benign Neoplasms of the Nose and Paranasal Sinuses (2014). Sataloff’s Textbook of Otolaryngology. Philadelphia, PA: Jaypee Brothers Medical Publishers.
- Yemeng L, Deal AM, Miller JD, Thorp BD, Sreenath SB, McClurg SW, Senior BA, Zanation AM, and Ebert CS Jr. Comparison of Socioeconomic and Demographic Factors in Patients with Chronic Rhinosinusitis and Allergic Fungal Sinusitis. (Submitted November 2014).
- Thorp BD, Sreenath SB, Ebert CS Jr., and Zanation AM. Endoscopic Skull Base Reconstruction: A Review and Clinical Case Series of 152 Vascularized Flaps Utilized for Surgical Skull Base Defects in the Setting of Intraoperative Cerebrospinal Fluid Leak. Neurosurg Focus. 2014 Oct; 37(4)E4. PMID:25270144
- Miller JD, Deal AM, McKinney KA, McClurg SW, Rodriguez KD, Thorp BD, Senior BA, Zanation AM, and Ebert CS Jr. Markers of Disease Severity and Socioeconomic Factors in Allergic Fungal Rhinosinusitis. Int Forum Allergy Rhinol. 2014 April; 4(4):272-290. PMID:24449482
- Ebert CS Jr., McKinney KA, Urrutia G, Wu M, Rose AR, Madan G, Thorp BD, Senior BA, and Zanation AM. Expression of Prtease-activated Receptors in Allergic Fungal Rhinosinusitis. Int Forum Allergy Rhinol. 2014 April; 4(4):266-271. PMID:24500840
- Rose AS, Thorp BD, Zanation AM, and Ebert CS Jr. Chronic Rhinosinusitis in Children. Pediatr Clin North Am. 2013 August;(60)4:979-991. PMID: 23905832
- Farag AA, Deal AM, McKinney KA, Thorp BD, Senior BA, Ebert CS Jr, and Zanation AM. Single-blind Randomized Controlled Trial of Surfactant Versus Hypertonic Saline Irrigation Following Endoscopic Endonasal Surgery in the Early Post-operative Period. Int Forum Allergy Rhinol. 2013 April; 3:276-280. PMID: 23169768
- Thorp BD, McKinney KA, Rose AS, and Ebert CS Jr. Allergic Fungal Sinusitis in Children. Otolaryngol Clin North Am. 2012 June; 45(3):631-42. PMID: 22588040
- Deal AM, Patel MR, Thorp BD, Cannon TY, Shores CG, and Zanation AM. Liver Function Tests: Inadequate Screening Modality for Detection of Liver Metastasis in Head and Neck Carcinoma. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2012 January; 146(1):88-91. PMID: 21987648
- Zanation AM, Thorp BD, Parmar P, Harvey RJ. Reconstructive Options for Endoscopic Skull Base Surgery. Otolaryngol Clin North Am. 2011 October; 44(5):1201-22. PMID: 21978902.
- Higgins TS, Thorp BD, Rawlings BA, and Han JK. Outcome Results of Endoscopic Versus Craniofacial Resection of Sinonasal Malignanceis: A Systemic Review and Pooled-Data Analysis. Int Forum Allergy Rhinol. 2011 Jul-Aug; 1(4): 255-261. PMID: 22287429.