Harold C. Pillsbury, MD, FACS
Emeritus Chair, Department of Otolaryngology/Head and Neck Surgery
Professor, Neurotology and Skull Base Surgery
Executive Director, W. Paul Biggers Carolina Children’s Communicative Disorders Program (CCCDP)
Otolaryngology-head and neck surgery, neurotology, facial plastic surgery, otolaryngologic allergy, cochlear implantation, acoustic tumors, skull base surgery, laser utilization in head and neck cancer.
- Appointments: (984) 974-6484
- Surgery Scheduler: Phyllis Dixon (919) 966-9153
- Nurse: Kathy Tommerdahl (984) 974-3518
- Executive Assistant: Dawn Wilson (919) 843-7091
- MD: George Washington University, 1972
- Residency: General Surgery, University of North Carolina School of Medicine, 1972-1973
- Residency: Otolaryngology/Head Neck Surgery, University of North Carolina School of Medicine, 1974-1976
- Fellowship: Katonsspital, Zurich, Switzerland, 2/77-6/77
- Emeritus Chair, Department of Otolaryngology/Head and Neck Surgery, 2018-present
- Chair, UNC Department of Otolaryngology/Head and Neck Surgery, 2001-2018
- Thomas J. Dark Distinguished Professor of Otolaryngology/Head and Neck Surgery, 1991-2018
- Professor, Otolaryngology/Head and Neck Surgery, UNC, 1986-present
- Associate Professor, Otolaryngology/Head and Neck Surgery, UNC, 1982-1986
- Associate Professor, Otolaryngology/Head and Neck Surgery, Yale University, 1981-1982
- Assistant Professor, Otolaryngology/Head and Neck Surgery, Yale University, 1977-1981
- President, American Laryngological, Rhinological, and Otological Society (The Triological Society), 2007-2008
- Distinguished Alumni Achievement Award, George Washington University. This is the highest form of recognition given by GWU and the George Washington Alumni Association to alumni on an annual basis. Each recipient has made a lasting impact on society through outstanding professional, voluntary, or philanthropic accomplishments. Washington, DC, May 20, 2006.
- President, American Board of Otolaryngology, April 2004 – April 2006
- Daniel C. Baker Lectureship. Laryngology Fellowships: Future Directions in Otolaryngology/Head and Neck Surgery. Meeting of the American Laryngological Association, Boca Raton, FL, May 13, 2005.
- James A. Harrill Lectureship. Current Controversies and Progress in Cochlear Implantation. Department of Otolaryngology, Wake Forest University School of Medicine, Winston-Salem, NC, April 22, 2005.
- Distinguished Faculty Award. Given annually by the UNC School of Medicine Medical Alumni Association, the award recognizes excellence in teaching, contributions to medicine, leadership in physician continuing education and efforts to improve communication among alumni, faculty and North Carolina residents. Presented on April 15, 2005.
- Bassim MK, Copeland BJ, Leight WD, Pillsbury HC III. Chapter 126: Vertigo. In: Runge MS and Greganti MA (eds.) Netter’s Internal Medicine, 2nd edition, Philadelphia: Saunders Elsevier, 2009: pp. 890-897.
- Buchman CA, Adunka OF, Zdanski CJ, Pillsbury HC. Hearing loss in children: The otologist’s perspective. In: Seewald & Bamford (eds.) A Sound Foundation Through Early Amplification Basel: Phonak AG, 2008.
- Ebert CS, Pillsbury HC. Chapter 7: Otitis Media: Background and Science. In: Krouse JH, Chadwick SJ, Derebery MJ (eds.) Managing the Allergic Patient. Philadelphia: Saunders Elsevier 2007, pp. 175-192.
- Kölln KA, LaCour JB, Pillsbury HC III. Chapter 131: Bell’s Palsy. In: Runge MS and Greganti MA (eds.) Netter’s Internal Medicine, 2nd edition, Philadelphia: Saunders Elsevier, 2009, pp. 923-928.
- Adunka OF, Buss E, Clark MS, Pillsbury HC, Buchman CA. Effect of preoperative residual hearing on speech perception after cochlear implantation. Laryngoscope. 2008 Nov;118(11):2044-9.
- Eapen RJ, Ebert CS Jr, Pillsbury HC. Allergic rhinitis–history and presentation. Otolaryngol Clin North Am. 2008 Apr;41(2):325-30, vi-vii.
- Adunka OF, Radeloff A, Gstoettner WK, Pillsbury HC, Buchman CA. Scala tympani cochleostomy II: topography and histology. Laryngoscope. 2007 Dec;117(12):2195-200.
- Harrill WC, Pillsbury HC, McGuirt WF, Stewart MG. Radiofrequency turbinate reduction: a NOSE evaluation. Laryngoscope. 2007 Nov;117(11):1912-9.
- Ebert CS Jr, Rose AS, Blanks DA, Eapen RP, Kandimalla ER, Agrawal S, Prazma J, Pillsbury. Immune modulatory oligonucleotides in prevention of nasal allergen-induced Eustachian tube dysfunction in rats. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2007 Aug;137(2):250-5.
- Buss E, Pillsbury HC, Buchman CA, Pillsbury CH, Clark MS, Haynes DS, Labadie RF, Amberg S, Roland PS, Kruger P, Novak MA, Wirth JA, Black JM, Peters R, Lake J, Wackym PA, Firszt JB, Wilson BS, Lawson DT, Schatzer R, D’Haese PS, and Barco AL. Multicenter U.S. Bilateral MED-EL Cochlear Implantation Study: Speech Perception over the First Year of Use. Ear Hear 2008;29:20-32.
- Neff BA, Weit RM, Lasak JL, Cohen NL, Pillsbury HC, Ramsden RT, Welling DB. Cochlear Implantation in the Neurofibromatous Type 2 Patient: Long-Term Follow-up. Laryngoscope 2007 June;117(6):1069-79.
- Krouse JH, Brown RW, Fineman SM, Han JK, Heller AJ, Joe S, Krouse HJ, Pillsbury HC, Ryan MW, Veling MC. Asthma and the unified airway. Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery 2007; 136;S75-S106.
- Krouse JH, Veling MC, Ryan MW, Pillsbury HC, Kouse HJ, Joe S, Heller AJ, Han JK, Fineman SM, Brown SW. Executive Summary: Asthma and the unified airway. Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery 2007 May; 136(5):699-706.
- Balkany T, Hodges A, Menapace C, Hazard L, Driscoll C, Gantz B, Kelsall D, Luxford W, McMenomy S, Neely JG, Peters B, Pillsbury HC, Roberson J, Schramm D, Telian S, Waltzman S, Westerberg B, Payne S. Nucleus Freedom North American clinical trial. Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery 2007; 136(5):757-762.
- Pillsbury HC, Krouse JH, Marple BF, Parker MJ. The impact/role of asthma in otolaryngology. Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery 2007; 136:157.
- Seshul M, Pillsbury HC, Eby T. Use of Intradermal dilutional testing and skin prick testing: Clinical relevance and cost efficiency. Laryngoscope 2006 Sept;116(9):1530-8.
- Adunka O, Pillsbury HC, Kiefer J. Combining perimodular electrode placement and atraumatic insertion properties in cochlear implantation – fact or fantasy? Acta ORL 2006;126:475-82.
- Cullen RD, Zdanski CJ, Roush PA, Brown CJ, Teagle HFB, Pillsbury HC, Buchman CA. Cochlear Implants in Waardenburg Syndrome. Laryngoscope 2006 Jul; 116(7):1273-5.
- Ebert CS, Rose AS, Patel MR, Hardy SM, Kandimalla ER, Agrawal S, Prazma J, Pillsbury HC. The role of immunomodulatory oligonucleotides in prevention of OVA-induced Eustachian tube dysfunction. International Journal of Pediatric Otorhinolaryngology 2006 Dec;70(12):2019-26.
- Bassim M, Buss E, Clark MS, Kölln KA, Pillsbury CH, Pillsbury HC, Buchman CA. MED-EL Combi40+ Cochlear Implantation in Adults. Laryngoscope 2005 Oct;133(4)531-33.
- Copeland BJ, Senior BA, Buchman CA, Pillsbury HC. The accuracy of computer-aided surgery in neurotologic approaches to the temporal bone: A cadaver study. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 2005;132(3):421-8.