William W. Shockley, MD, FACS
W. Paul Biggers Distinguished Professor of Otolaryngology/Head and Neck Surgery
Chief, Division of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery
Facial plastic and reconstructive surgery, rhinoplasty, salivary and thyroid gland surgery.
- Appointments: (984) 974-6484
- Surgery Scheduler: Phyllis Dixon (919) 966-9153
- Nurse: Elaine Hinkle (984) 974-3520
- Administrative Coordinator: Donna Woodard (919) 843-3628
- MD: Indiana University School of Medicine, Indianapolis, IN, 1976
- Intership & Residency: Dept. of Surgery, Good Samaritan Hospital, Cincinnati, OH, 1976-78
- Residency: Dept. of Otolaryngology-Maxillofacial Surgery, University of Cincinnati, Cincinnati, OH, 1978-1981
- Fellowship: Head and Neck Surgery Associates, Methodist Hospital, Indianapolis, IN, 1981-82
- W. Paul Biggers Distinguished Professor of Otolaryngology/Head and Neck Surgery, Dept. of Otolaryngology/Head and Neck Surgery, UNC, 2005-present
- Vice Chair, Dept. of Otolaryngology/Head and Neck Surgery, UNC, 2001-2008
- Professor and Chief, Division of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, Dept. of Otolaryngology/Head and Neck Surgery, UNC, 2001-present
- Professor, Division of Otolaryngology/Head and Neck Surgery, Dept. of Surgery, UNC, 1995-2001
- Associate Professor, Division of Otolaryngology/Head and Neck Surgery, Dept. of Surgery, UNC, 1989-1995
- Associate Professor, Dept. of Communication Disorders, School of Allied Health, LSU Medical Center, Shreveport, LA, 1988-1989
- Associate Professor, Dept. of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery, LSU Medical Center, Shreveport, LA, 1987-1989
- Assistant Professor, Dept. of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery, LSU Medical Center, Shreveport, LA, 1982-1987
- Lifetime Achievement Award in Medical Education, UNC School of Medicine’s Academy of Educators, 2017
- Distinguished Service Award, American Academy of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery, Toronto, Canada, September 2006
- Top Doctor recognition for Otolaryngology, Business North Carolina, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007
- Presidential Citation, Southern Section of Triological Society, Marco Island, Florida, January 8, 2004.
- Teaching Excellence Award. Recognition for sustained outstanding contributions to the teaching mission. UNC School of Medicine, 2001.
- Special Recognition Award, American Board of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery. Recognition for receiving 2nd highest score on the ABFRS Exam, September 2000.
- Apisarnthanasax S, Dhruva N, Ardeshispour F, Tepper J, Shores C, Rosenman JG, Shockley WW, Hayward M, and Hayes DN: Concomitant Radiotherapy and Chemotherapy for High Risk Nonmelanoma Skin Carcinomas of the Head and Neck. International Journal of Surgical Oncology (publication pending).
- Dahl JP, Montserrat C, Pappa AK, Madan G, Shockley WW, van Aalst JA: Analysis of Auricular Cartilage to Guide Tissue-Engineered Nanofiber-Based Chondrogenesis: Implications for Microtia Reconstruction. Otolaryngol-Head Neck Surg 2011 (publication pending)
- Shockley WW: Scar Revision Techniques: Z-plasty, W-plasty, and Geometric Broken Line Closure. Facial Plast Surg Clin N Am 2011 Aug; 19 (3): 445-463.
- Surowitz JB, Shockley WW: Enhancement of Facial Scars with Dermabrasion. Facial Plast Surg Clin N Am 2011 Aug; 19 (3): 517-525.
- Shockley WW. Scar revision techniques. Operative Techniques in Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery 2011 March; 22(1): 84-93.
- Willis M, Shockley WW, Mobley SR. Treatment options in trigeminal trophic syndrome: A multi-institutional case series. Laryngoscope 2011 April; 121(4): 712-6.
- Ardeshirpour F, Shockley WW, Zdanski CJ. Lipoblastoma in the masticator space of an infant. Eur J Pediatr Surg. 2010 May;20(3):201-3.
- Patel MR, Deal AM, Shockley WW. Oral and plunging ranulas: What is the most effective treatment? Laryngoscope. 2009 Aug;119(8):1501-9.
- Ardeshipour F, Ladner KM, Bryson PC, Shores CG, Shockley WW. The use of ultrasound in defining nasal fractures. (Manuscript in progress)
- Eapen RJ, Shockley WW. Chapter 11: Common Oral Lesions. In: Runge MS and Greganti MA (eds.) Netter’s Internal Medicine, 2nd edition, Philadelphia: Saunders Elsevier, 2009: pp. 61-66.
- Marshall AF, Shockley WW. Chapter 84: Cancer of the Oral Cavity and Oropharynx. In: Runge MS and Greganti MA (eds.) Netter’s Internal Medicine, 2nd edition, Philadelphia: Saunders Elsevier, 2009, pp. 600-605.
- Demke JC, Shockley WW. Treatment of Naso-Orbito-Ethmoid Fractures. In: Thomas JR (ed.) Advanced Therapy in Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery. Ontario: BC Decker Inc., Publisher. (publication pending).
- Shockley WW. Reconstruction of Facial Mohs Defects. In: de Souza C, Nathan CA, Stucker F, Bhattacharya A, Cruz AK, Har-El G, Chaturvedi P (eds.) Head and Neck Surgery. Andhra Pradesh, India: Orient Longman Pvt Ltd (publication pending).
- Calhoun KH, Shockley WW. Surgical Reconstruction after Mohs Surgery and Tissue Expansion. In: Baily BJ, Johnson JT, and Newlands SD (eds.) Head and Neck Surgery – Otolaryngology, 4th edition, vol. 2. Philadelphia: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, 2006:2393-2409.
- Shockley WW, Das S. Chapter 54: Esophageal Disorders. In: Bailey BJ, Johnson JT, Newlands SD (eds.). Head and Neck Surgery-Otolaryngology 4th edition, Vol. 1, Philadelphia: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, 2006: 755-770.
- Barrows FP, Shockley WW, Wright JD, Susswein L, Evans J, Funkhouser WK, Loechner KJ. Metastatic medullary thyroid cancer in a pediatric patient with MEN 2B: emphasis on the need for early recognition of extrathyroidal clinical findings associated with MEN 2B. Clin Pediatr (Phila). 2006 Jun;45(5):463-7.
- Zanation AM, Sutton DK Couch ME, Weissler MC, Shockley WW, Shores CG. Use, accuracy, and implications for patient management of [18F]-2-fluorodeoxyglucose-positron emission/computerized tomography for head and neck tumors. Laryngoscope 2005 Jul;115(7):1186-90.
- Ebert CS, Dubin MG, Hart CF, Chalian AA, Shockley WW. Clear cell odontogenic carcinoma: a comprehensive analysis of treatment strategies. Head Neck 2005 Jun;27(6):536-42.
- Marshall AF, White DR, Shockley WW. Pleomorphic adenoma in the palpebral lobe of the lacrimal gland. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 2005;132(1):141-3.
- Chung CH, Parker JS, Karaca G, Wu J, Funkhouser WK, Moore D, Butterfoss D, Xiang D, Zanation A, Yin X, Shockley WW, Weissler WC, Dressler LG, Shores CG, Yarbrough WG, Perou CM. Molecular classification of head and neck squamous cell carcinomas using patterns of gene expression. Cancer Cell; 2004 May; 5:489-500.
- Dubin MG, Ebert CS, Mukherji SK, Pollock HW, Amjadi DK, Shockley WW. Computed tomography’s ability to predict sacrifice of the hypoglossal nerve at resection. Laryngoscope 2002;112(12):2181-85.