Paul B. Manis, PhD
Chief, Division of Research Training and Education
Cellular basis of auditory information processing, centra nervous system plasticity
Ph.D., Neuroscience, University of Florida, Gainesville, FL, August 1981.
Research Associate, Dept. of Neuroscience., University of Florida College of Medicine, Gainesville FL, 1981-1982.
Postdoctoral Fellow, Dept. of Cell Biology (Anatomy) Vanderbilt University School of Medicine, Nashville, TN, 1982-1985.
- Professor and Chief, Division of Research Training and Education, Dept. of Otolaryngology/Head and Neck Surgery, UNC, July 2001 – present
- Professor and Director, Research Training and Education, Division of Otolaryngology/Head and Neck Surgery, Dept. of Surgery, UNC, June 2000 – July 2001
- Professor, Division of Otolaryngology/Head and Neck Surgery, Dept. of Surgery, UNC, Nov. 1999 – June 2000
- Visiting Professor, Division of Otolaryngology/Head and Neck Surgery, Dept. of Surgery, UNC, July 1999 – Nov. 1999
- Associate Professor of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore MD, Nov. 1991 – June 1999
- Associate Professor of Neuroscience, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Nov. 1991 – June 1999
- Associate Professor of Biomedical Engineering, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Nov. 1991 – June 1999
- Assistant Professor of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery, Johns Hopkins, Oct.1985 – Oct. 1991
- Assistant Professor of Neuroscience, Johns Hopkins, Oct.1985 – Oct. 1991
- Assistant Professor of Biomedical Engineering, Johns Hopkins, Dec. 1990 – Oct. 1991
- Wang, Y., O’Donohue, H.O., Manis. P.B. Short-term plasticity and auditory processing in the ventral cochlear nucleus of normal and hearing-impaired animals. Hearing Research. In press, doi:10.1016/j.heares.2011.04.018 (Accepted April 28, 2011). (Invited Review, peer reviewed) PMID: 21586317
- Koehler, S., Pradham, P., Manis, P.B., Shore, S.E., Trigeminal stimulation modifies auditory spike timing in dorsal cochlear nucleus principal cells. European Journal of Neuroscience 33: 409-420, 2011. PMID: 21198989, PMCID: PMC3059071
- Larsen RS, Rao D, Manis PB and Philpot B (2010) STDP in the Developing Sensory Neocortex. Front. Syn. Neurosci. doi:10.3389/fnsyn.2010.00009 (online version). PMID: 21423495 [PubMed] PMCID: PMC3059680 (Invited Review, peer reviewed)
- Rao, D., Basura, G.J., Daniels, S.D., Mancilla, J.G., Roche, J., and Manis, P.B. 5-HT2 receptor blockade decreases pyramidal cell excitability in rat auditory cortex following bilateral cochlear ablation. J. Neurophysiology 104(5):2693-703, 2010. PMID: 20884760, PMCID: PMC2997032
- Wang, Y., Ren, C., and Manis, P.B. Endbulb synaptic depression within the range of presynaptic spontaneous firing and its impact on the firing reliability of postsynaptic bushy neurons. Hearing Research 270: 101-109, 2010. PMID: 20850512, PMCID: PMC2997871
- Rich, A. W., Xie, R., Manis, P.B. Hearing loss alters quantal release at cochlear nucleus stellate cells. The Laryngoscope, 120: 2047-2053, 2010. PMID: 20824788. PMCID: PMC3091373
- Fleming, R.L., Manis, P.B., Morrow, A.L. The effects of acute and chronic ethanol exposure on presynaptic and postsynaptic GABAa receptor function in cultured cortical and hippocampal neurons. Alcohol 43: 603-618, 2009, PMID: 20004338, PMCID: PMC2796564.
- Mancilla, J.G. and Manis, P.B. Two distinct types of inhibition mediated by cartwheel cells in the dorsal cochlear nucleus. J Neurophysiology 102(2):1287-95. (DOI:10.1152/jn.91272.2008; PMID: 19474167; PMCID: PMC2724367)
Basura GJ, Abbas AI, O’Donohue H, Lauder JM, Roth BL, Walker PD, Manis PB. Ontogeny of serotonin and serotonin2A receptors in rat auditory cortex. Hear Res. 2008 Oct;244(1-2):45-50. Epub 2008 Aug 6.
Wang Y, Manis PB. Short-term synaptic depression and recovery at the mature mammalian endbulb of Held synapse in mice. J Neurophysiol. 2008 Sep;100(3):1255-64. Epub 2008 Jul 16.
Spirou GA, Chirila FV, von Gersdorff H, Manis PB. Heterogeneous Ca2+ influx along the adult calyx of held: a structural and computational study. Neuroscience. 2008 Jun 12;154(1):171-85. Epub 2008 Apr 7.
Street SE, Manis PB. Action potential timing precision in dorsal cochlear nucleus pyramidal cells. J Neurophysiol. 2007 Jun;97(6):4162-72. Epub 2007 Apr 18.
Wang Y, Manis PB. Temporal coding by cochlear nucleus bushy cells in DBA/2J mice with early onset hearing loss. J Assoc Res Otolaryngol. 2006 Dec;7(4):412-24. Epub 2006 Oct 26.
Bortone, D.S., Mitchell, K., and Manis, P.B. Developmental Time Course of Potassium Channel Expression in the Rat Cochlear Nucleus. Hearing Research, 211, 114-125, 2006.
Spirou, G.A., Rager, J. and Manis, P.B. Convergence of auditory nerve fibers onto globular bushy cells. Neuroscience 136: 843-863, 2005.
Wang, Y. and Manis, P.B. Synaptic transmission at the cochlear nucleus endbulb synapse during age-related hearing loss in mice. Journal of Neurophysiology, 94 (3): 1814-1824, 2005.
Kanold, P.O. and Manis, P.B. Encoding the timing of inhibitory inputs. Journal of Neurophysiology, 93:2887-2897, 2005.
Manis, P.B., Molitor, S.C., Wu, H. Subthreshold oscillations generated by TTX-sensitive sodium currents in dorsal cochlear nucleus pyramidal cells. Experimental Brain Research 153: 443-451, 2003.
Molitor, S.C. and Manis, P.B. Dendritic Ca2+ transients evoked by action potentials in rat dorsal cochlear nucleus pyramidal and cartwheel neurons. Journal of Neurophysiology 89: 2225-2237, 2003.
Rothman, J.S. and Manis, P.B. The roles potassium channels play in the electrical activity of ventral cochlear nucleus neurons: a theoretical investigation. Journal of Neurophysiology 89: 3097-3113, 2003.
Rothman, J.S. and Manis, P.B. Kinetic analyses of three distinct potassium conductances in ventral cochlear nucleus neurons. Journal of Neurophysiology 89: 3083-3096, 2003.
Rothman, J.S. and Manis, P.B. Differential expression of three distinct potassium conductances in the ventral cochlear nucleus. Journal of Neurophysiology 89: 3070-3082, 2003.