Cellular basis of auditory information processing, centra nervous system plasticity
- Ph.D., Neuroscience, University of Florida, Gainesville, FL, August 1981.
- Research Associate, Dept. of Neuroscience., University of Florida College of Medicine, Gainesville FL, 1981-1982.
- Postdoctoral Fellow, Dept. of Cell Biology (Anatomy) Vanderbilt University School of Medicine, Nashville, TN, 1982-1985.
- Professor and Chief, Division of Research Training and Education, Dept. of Otolaryngology/Head and Neck Surgery, UNC, July 2001 – present
- Professor and Director, Research Training and Education, Division of Otolaryngology/Head and Neck Surgery, Dept. of Surgery, UNC, June 2000 – July 2001
- Professor, Division of Otolaryngology/Head and Neck Surgery, Dept. of Surgery, UNC, Nov. 1999 – June 2000
- Visiting Professor, Division of Otolaryngology/Head and Neck Surgery, Dept. of Surgery, UNC, July 1999 – Nov. 1999
- Associate Professor of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore MD, Nov. 1991 – June 1999
- Associate Professor of Neuroscience, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Nov. 1991 – June 1999
- Associate Professor of Biomedical Engineering, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Nov. 1991 – June 1999
- Assistant Professor of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery, Johns Hopkins, Oct.1985 – Oct. 1991
- Assistant Professor of Neuroscience, Johns Hopkins, Oct.1985 – Oct. 1991
- Assistant Professor of Biomedical Engineering, Johns Hopkins, Dec. 1990 – Oct. 1991
- Wang, Y., O’Donohue, H.O., Manis. P.B. Short-term plasticity and auditory processing in the ventral cochlear nucleus of normal and hearing-impaired animals. Hearing Research. In press, doi:10.1016/j.heares.2011.04.018 (Accepted April 28, 2011). (Invited Review, peer reviewed) PMID: 21586317
- Koehler, S., Pradham, P., Manis, P.B., Shore, S.E., Trigeminal stimulation modifies auditory spike timing in dorsal cochlear nucleus principal cells. European Journal of Neuroscience 33: 409-420, 2011. PMID: 21198989, PMCID: PMC3059071
- Larsen RS, Rao D, Manis PB and Philpot B (2010) STDP in the Developing Sensory Neocortex. Front. Syn. Neurosci. doi:10.3389/fnsyn.2010.00009 (online version). PMID: 21423495 [PubMed] PMCID: PMC3059680 (Invited Review, peer reviewed)
- Rao, D., Basura, G.J., Daniels, S.D., Mancilla, J.G., Roche, J., and Manis, P.B. 5-HT2 receptor blockade decreases pyramidal cell excitability in rat auditory cortex following bilateral cochlear ablation. J. Neurophysiology 104(5):2693-703, 2010. PMID: 20884760, PMCID: PMC2997032
- Wang, Y., Ren, C., and Manis, P.B. Endbulb synaptic depression within the range of presynaptic spontaneous firing and its impact on the firing reliability of postsynaptic bushy neurons. Hearing Research 270: 101-109, 2010. PMID: 20850512, PMCID: PMC2997871
- Rich, A. W., Xie, R., Manis, P.B. Hearing loss alters quantal release at cochlear nucleus stellate cells. The Laryngoscope, 120: 2047-2053, 2010. PMID: 20824788. PMCID: PMC3091373
- Fleming, R.L., Manis, P.B., Morrow, A.L. The effects of acute and chronic ethanol exposure on presynaptic and postsynaptic GABAa receptor function in cultured cortical and hippocampal neurons. Alcohol 43: 603-618, 2009, PMID: 20004338, PMCID: PMC2796564.
- Mancilla, J.G. and Manis, P.B. Two distinct types of inhibition mediated by cartwheel cells in the dorsal cochlear nucleus. J Neurophysiology 102(2):1287-95. (DOI:10.1152/jn.91272.2008; PMID: 19474167; PMCID: PMC2724367)
- Basura GJ, Abbas AI, O’Donohue H, Lauder JM, Roth BL, Walker PD, Manis PB. Ontogeny of serotonin and serotonin2A receptors in rat auditory cortex. Hear Res. 2008 Oct;244(1-2):45-50. Epub 2008 Aug 6.
- Wang Y, Manis PB. Short-term synaptic depression and recovery at the mature mammalian endbulb of Held synapse in mice. J Neurophysiol. 2008 Sep;100(3):1255-64. Epub 2008 Jul 16.
- Spirou GA, Chirila FV, von Gersdorff H, Manis PB. Heterogeneous Ca2+ influx along the adult calyx of held: a structural and computational study. Neuroscience. 2008 Jun 12;154(1):171-85. Epub 2008 Apr 7.
- Street SE, Manis PB. Action potential timing precision in dorsal cochlear nucleus pyramidal cells. J Neurophysiol. 2007 Jun;97(6):4162-72. Epub 2007 Apr 18.
- Wang Y, Manis PB. Temporal coding by cochlear nucleus bushy cells in DBA/2J mice with early onset hearing loss. J Assoc Res Otolaryngol. 2006 Dec;7(4):412-24. Epub 2006 Oct 26.
- Bortone, D.S., Mitchell, K., and Manis, P.B. Developmental Time Course of Potassium Channel Expression in the Rat Cochlear Nucleus. Hearing Research, 211, 114-125, 2006.
- Spirou, G.A., Rager, J. and Manis, P.B. Convergence of auditory nerve fibers onto globular bushy cells. Neuroscience 136: 843-863, 2005.
- Wang, Y. and Manis, P.B. Synaptic transmission at the cochlear nucleus endbulb synapse during age-related hearing loss in mice. Journal of Neurophysiology, 94 (3): 1814-1824, 2005.
- Kanold, P.O. and Manis, P.B. Encoding the timing of inhibitory inputs. Journal of Neurophysiology, 93:2887-2897, 2005.
- Manis, P.B., Molitor, S.C., Wu, H. Subthreshold oscillations generated by TTX-sensitive sodium currents in dorsal cochlear nucleus pyramidal cells. Experimental Brain Research 153: 443-451, 2003.
- Molitor, S.C. and Manis, P.B. Dendritic Ca2+ transients evoked by action potentials in rat dorsal cochlear nucleus pyramidal and cartwheel neurons. Journal of Neurophysiology 89: 2225-2237, 2003.
- Rothman, J.S. and Manis, P.B. The roles potassium channels play in the electrical activity of ventral cochlear nucleus neurons: a theoretical investigation. Journal of Neurophysiology 89: 3097-3113, 2003.
- Rothman, J.S. and Manis, P.B. Kinetic analyses of three distinct potassium conductances in ventral cochlear nucleus neurons. Journal of Neurophysiology 89: 3083-3096, 2003.
- Rothman, J.S. and Manis, P.B. Differential expression of three distinct potassium conductances in the ventral cochlear nucleus. Journal of Neurophysiology 89: 3070-3082, 2003.