Blepharoplasty Postoperative Instructions
- 4X4 Gauze Pads (provided by the clinical staff)
- Saline Solution (provided by the clinical staff)
- Ophthalmic Ointment (prescription)
- Ice packs (may use sandwich bags with crushed ice)
- Clean incision sites twice a day with saline solution on a Q-tip and apply Ophthalmic Ointment with a Q-tip twice a day for one week.
- Apply saline soaked ice gauze first to eyelid and then cover with frozen packs of peas/ice packs for the first 48 hours post-op.
- Avoid stressful activity, bending over (“head down” position) and heavy lifting greater than 15 lbs) until sutures are removed.
- You may shower the day after surgery.
- Avoid makeup to incision sites until 24 hours after the sutures have been removed.
WHAT TO EXPECT:
Bruising, swelling, and “oozing” of blood are normal and expected. Swelling and bruising may start at the eyebrow area and “work its way down” toward cheek area before completely resolving, generally over a period of 7-10 days.
WHEN TO NOTIFY NURSE:
If you experience a fever post-op, uncontrolled bleeding or swelling, redness at incision site, pain at incision site, then please contact the nursing staff at 987-974-3633
Click here for a downloadable version of the instructions.