The Norma Berryhill Distinguished Lecture began in 1985. Established to honor the medical school’s “most able scientists and scholars,” the lectureship is named after the late Norma Berryhill, whose late husband, Dr. Walter Reece Berryhill, was dean of the school from 1941 to 1964. Along with her husband, she is considered the co-founder of UNC’s four-year School of Medicine. While honoring an eminent member of the School of Medicine faculty, the Norma Berryhill Distinguished Lecture series serves as an occasion to welcome new faculty members in an academic convocation and to further the sense of community created and nurtured by Mrs. Berryhill. Further, it is a time when we reflect upon our School’s splendid heritage of collegiality and excellence, to which Norma Berryhill contributed so much. It is also the occasion on which we welcome our newest faculty members. The event occurs annually in October.
Welcome to the Carolina Family!
The Office of Faculty Affairs and Leadership Development is here to support you as you transition to UNC. Please review this site to learn more about our programs for faculty, and let us know if you have any questions. We look forward to meeting you!
Every October, the Office of Faculty Affairs and Leadership Development hosts an orientation designed to offer individuals at all levels an introduction to the UNC School of Medicine and UNC Healthcare System, and support them in their transition as new members of the Carolina family.
The Orientation features the opportunity to:
- Meet with other faculty and leaders from across the School of Medicine
- Hear from a variety of exhibitors and speakers on a range of topics
- Identify key resources and points of contact
Norma Berryhill Distinguished Lecture and New Faculty Welcome
New Faculty Resources
- Office of Faculty Affairs and Leadership Development
- School of Medicine Overview and the Carolina Way
- Health Care System Overview
- Translational Education at Carolina
- Office of Inclusive Excellence
- Office of Research Overview and Conflict of Interest
- Medical Foundation of North Carolina
- Wellness Initiative and Mindfulness Programs
- Institute for Healthcare Quality Improvement
Career Planning Resources
- Faculty Orientation Pre-Work Materials
- Planning for Your Success
- Appointments, Promotion, and Tenure: 101
- Mentoring Overview
- Mentoring Resources
- Constitution and Bylaws
- Faculty Code (updated May 1, 2016)
- Statement on Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
Key Points of Contact