The Norma Berryhill Distinguished Lecture began in 1985. Established to honor the medical school’s “most able scientists and scholars,” the lectureship is named after the late Norma Berryhill, whose late husband, Dr. Walter Reece Berryhill, was dean of the school from 1941 to 1964. Along with her husband, she is considered the co-founder of UNC’s four-year School of Medicine. While honoring an eminent member of the School of Medicine faculty, the Norma Berryhill Distinguished Lecture series serves as an occasion to welcome new faculty members in an academic convocation and to further the sense of community created and nurtured by Mrs. Berryhill. Further, it is a time when we reflect upon our School’s splendid heritage of collegiality and excellence, to which Norma Berryhill contributed so much. It is also the occasion on which we welcome our newest faculty members. The event occurs annually in October.
Welcome to the Carolina Family!
The Office of Faculty Affairs and Leadership Development is here to support you as you transition to UNC. Please review this site to learn more about our programs for faculty, and let us know if you have any questions. We look forward to meeting you!
Every October, the Office of Faculty Affairs and Leadership Development hosts an orientation designed to offer individuals at all levels an introduction to the UNC School of Medicine and UNC Healthcare System, and support them in their transition as new members of the Carolina family.
The Orientation features the opportunity to:
- Meet with other faculty and leaders from across the School of Medicine
- Hear from a variety of exhibitors and speakers on a range of topics
- Identify key resources and points of contact
2020 Faculty Success Symposium
Norma Berryhill Distinguished Lecture and New Faculty Welcome
New Faculty Resources
- School of Medicine Overview and the Carolina Way
- Medical Education at Carolina
- Medical Foundation of North Carolina
- Wellness Initiative and Mindfulness Programs
- Institute for Healthcare Quality Improvement
Career Planning Resources
Organizations/Offices to Connect With
- UNC Academy of Educators – Community of medical educators aiming to promote and support excellence in teaching and the work and career paths of excellence teachers
- North Carolina Translational and Clinical Sciences Institute (NC TraCS) – Support for faculty seeking funding opportunities, conducting clinical research, collecting and analyzing data, etc.
- Center for Faculty Excellence – Provides support for faculty of all disciplines to reach their goals in teaching, research, and leadership
- Targeting Equity in Access to Mentoring (TEAM) Advance – Promotes accessible, equitable, and effective mentoring across the University, with emphasis on supporting women of color and white women in STEM
- Health Sciences Library
- SOM Information Technology
- Office of Research – Provides support for startup and retention packages, core research facilities, awards and grants, conflict of interest reviews, and more
- UNC Odum Institute – end-to-end research support, assistance with statistics and Qualtrics, surveys, etc.
- System-wide Emotional Support Resources
- Statement on Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
- Constitution and Bylaws
- Faculty Code (updated May 1, 2016)
Key Points of Contact