1. What is the Health Insurance Marketplace?
The Marketplace, sometimes known as the health insurance "exchange", is a new way to find health coverage. When you use the Health Insurance Marketplace, you'll fill out an application and see all of the health plans available in your area. You'll find out if you can here.and lower out-of pocket costs. For a video that contains general information about the marketplace, click
You can also find out if you qualify for free or low-cost coverage available throughor the .
2. Can I compare insurance plans in the Health Insurance Marketplace?
Insurance plans in the Marketplace are offered by private companies, and they are required to cover the same core set of benefits called. No plan can turn you away or charge you more because you have an illness or medical condition. They must cover treatments for these conditions. Plans can't charge women more than men for the same plan.
The Marketplace should make it easier to search for health coverage by gathering the options available in your area in one place. You can compare plans based on price, benefits, quality, and other features important to you before you make a choice.
3. How do I apply and what will I need to complete the application?
You can apply for Marketplace coverage three ways: online at 1-800-318-2596., by mail, or in-person with the help of someone at Family Medicine or in the community. A list of in-person assisters should be available soon. Telephone help and online chat is also available 24/7 to you complete your application. You can call
You will need to provide some information about you and your household including income, existing health insurance you may have now, and a few other items. A full list of the items you will need is here.
If you want an idea about how the application and enrollment process works, you can view the following videos:
4. Is there anyone who can help me apply?
Individuals across communities are being trained to offer assistance to anyone who may need it. Some of those individuals will be at Family Medicine too! We will schedule appointments for anyone who is interested. Details will be coming soon.
5. What are additional online resources?
- Video which describes the basic changes in the way people will get health coverage: (7 minutes) In Spanish: http://kff.org/health-reform/video/los-youtoons-se-preparan-para-obamacare/
- Article: “Ushering a New Era of Healthcare in NC” July/August 2013; NC Medical Journal. http://www.ncmedicaljournal.com/archives/?74401
- Article: Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act. Consolidated Bill Text http://docs.house.gov/energycommerce/ppacacon.pdf