For UNC Health Care Employees
What is the Healthy Heels Weight Loss Program?
The UNC Weight Management Program offers a comprehensive weight management program for UNC Health Care employees. The Healthy Heels Weight Loss Program (HHWLP) is free and includes intensive coaching and support.
Who Qualifies for the Program?
Any UNC Health Care employees (sorry, no UNCPN or Rex employees at this time**) with a BMI ≥25 and willingness to make changes to their daily routine. (**REX or UNCPN can join the UNC Weight Management Program, just not subsidized by their employer.**)
How do I sign up?
What is included?
- Participants are expected to meet with their counselor in group and/or individual counseling on a regular basis for 6 to 12 months, depending on goals and progress.
- Participants first attend an initial 90-minute group orientation appointment; subsequent follow-up visits are 60-minute group and/or 30-minute individual appointments.
- Participants who attend appointments 2 times a month for at least the first 6 months are more likely to reach their goals.
When and Where Do Groups Meet?
All appointments take place at UNC Family Medicine Center (590 Manning Drive – down the road from the main hospital)
Appointment times vary:
- Group counseling occurs on Thursdays from 4-5pm, 2 times a month
- Individual appointments are available on Mondays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays.
What is the Cost? Is it covered by Insurance?
This program is associated with two, one-time fees.
- Orientation Copay: Your first visit will be a 90-minute group orientation session during which we lay the foundation of our program, discuss healthy plate guidelines and goal setting. This visit will be associated with a one-time co-pay (the same amount as a primary care visit co-pay).
- Enrollment Fee: The one-time $125 enrollment fee is waived for all eligible UNC Health Care employees.
All patients are welcome regardless of health insurance status or type of insurance.
Is this the right program for me?
You must have a BMI >25, be motivated to change your eating habits and level of physical activity, and be willing to attend group and/or individual sessions at least twice per month.
Contact Stephanie Wilhoit-Reeves, Program Manager, by phone at 984-974-4971 or by email.