Who Qualifies for the Weight Management Program?
The UNC Weight Management Program is open to all qualified participants.
- Greater than 18 years of age
- Body Mass Index/BMI of 30 or greater. Click here to calculate your BMI.
- OR BMI of 25 or greater AND a diagnosis of high blood pressure, type 2 diabetes, osteoarthritis, obstructive sleep apnea, gastroesophageal reflux disease, polycystic ovarian syndrome and/or weight-related liver disease
- Willingness to commit to the full program (6 month minimum)
What is included?
- Participants are expected to meet with their counselor on a regular basis for 6 to 12 months, depending on goals and progress.
- Participants first attend an initial 90-minute group orientation appointment; subsequent follow-up visits are 60-minute group and/or 30-minute individual appointments.
- Participants who attend appointments 2 times a month for at least the first 6 months are more likely to reach their goals.
When can I come in?
Appointment times vary:
- Group counseling occurs on Thursdays from 4-5pm, 2 times a month
- Individual appointments are currently available on Monday mornings, Tuesday mornings, Wednesday evenings and Thursdays.
What is the cost? Is it covered by insurance?
- Orientation Copay: Your first visit will be a 90-minute group orientation session during which we lay the foundation of our program, discuss healthy plate guidelines and goal setting. This visit may be associated with a copay (the same amount as a primary care visit co-pay). It will not be collected at the time of visit but you may receive a bill after the visit.
- Enrollment Fee: After your second visit, you will receive a one-time bill for $125* through MyChart and/or the mail. This fee is an out-of-pocket expense and will not be covered by insurance. If you do not have insurance or have active Charity Care, the self-pay 40% discount applies. You will have 125 days (roughly 4 months) to pay the fee in full. If you cannot pay this fee within the 125 days, please call 984-974-0210 and ask to speak with a financial counselor at any time before the 125 days to set up a payment plan. Please note that a minimum payment of $25 will be required on the first day of the payment plan.
- Your insurance will be billed for each visit. The two costs mentioned above should cover the majority of your cost for the program. With most insurances this is a free or low-cost service. Please speak with our financial counselors to help verify your coverage and out-of-pocket costs prior to receiving service. Please let us know if you have any additional questions.
*If you were referred by the UNC AFib Transitions Clinic your enrollment fee will be subsidized by a grant. Patients can expect to pay a co-pay for the initial orientation appointment (typical PCP co-pay).
*If you are UNC Health Care employee (sorry not UNCPN, Rex Health Care or university/med school employees at this time), your enrollment fee will be subsidized by your employer or a grant. UNCH Employees can expect to pay a co-pay for the initial orientation appointment (typical PCP co-pay).
All patients are welcome regardless of health insurance status or type of insurance.
For Referring Providers
Instructions for referral to the UNC Weight Management Program at Family Medicine using EPIC:
- In the orders and medications panel search for “Obesity”
- Click on the “database” tab
- Select AMB REFERRAL TO WEIGHT MANAGEMENT
- Alternatively you could search for “REF166”
If you are a non-UNC provider and/or have questions, please call the UNC Weight Management Program at 984-974-6519.