Jon Hacke, PT, DPT has retired from his position as assistant professor in the Division of Physical Therapy in the Department of Allied Health Sciences as of October 1, 2021.

Hacke spent more than 25 years in the Division, bringing his unique background and experience to clinical, research and educational activities within physical therapy at UNC.

Having left Chapel Hill after graduating from the Physical Therapy and the Masters in Athletic Training programs in 1980, he returned to UNC in 1994. Hacke served as Senior Therapist at the UNC Ambulatory Care Clinic before becoming an assistant professor in the Division of Physical Therapy. His duties at UNC have reached across many departments, including athletic training, sports medicine, student health and UNC Family Medicine.

“My proudest accomplishments are the relationships I’ve developed with the students and the confidence they have shown in me,” Hacke said. “My best work and experiences have had everything to do with the students.”

Hacke has received numerous awards during his time at UNC, including the Distinguished Teaching Award for Post-Baccalaureate Instruction in 2012 after being nominated by his students. He is also a six-time recipient of the UNC Division of Physical Therapy Program Faculty Recognition Award. Additionally, he was the recipient of the North Carolina Chapter, APTA, “Outstanding Physical Therapist” in 2015.

Hacke says his colleagues and students have always provided an exciting work environment and that it has been a privilege to help guide a new generation to the next level of their careers.

“I appreciate the confidence the rest of the faculty has had in me, and it’s been such a pleasure to work with them,” Hacke said. “I’ve picked up so much from them and from the students, and I hope I have returned the favor. It’s a fantastic group of people to work with.”

Upon his retirement, Hacke hopes to spend more time with family and travel with his wife, the “Lovely Linda,” especially as the world begins to look more normal post-COVID-19. He has always been known among his students for sharing photos of his many travels during class sessions, and he looks forward to the opportunity to create more memories and photographs.

To honor Hacke’s retirement, UNC Health Foundation has set up a tribute site where you can make a secure online gift and share your appreciation. Click here to make a gift.

-Written by Katie Nash, UNC Health Foundation