Over the past sixteen years, the Center has received research grants and contracts from a variety of sources.
National Institutes of Health and other Federal Agencies provide research grants to the Center for specific programs of research. Current research support comes from the following agencies:
- NIDDK – National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases
- NICHD – National Institute of Child Health and Human Development
- NINDS – National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke
- NIMH – National Institute of Mental Health
- NCNR -National Center for Nursing Research
- AHRQ – Agency for Health Care Quality and Research
Pharmaceutical companies (US and international) contract with the Center for directed research studies as well as clinical trials for new drugs. The following companies (listed in alphabetical order) currently have or have had research contracts with the Center:
- AstraZeneca LLP
- Bristol-Meyers Pharmaceutical Group
- Danisco USA Inc.
- Forest Laboratories/Forest Research Institute
- GSK GlaxoSmithKline (and predecessors)
- Hoffman La Roche
- Ironwood Pharmaceuticals
- McNeil Consumer Health Care
- Novartis Pharmaceuticals
- Ono Pharmaceuticals
- Pain Therapeutics
- Pfizer Corp.
- Procter & Gamble Co.
- Prometheus Pharmaceuticals
- Regeneron Pharmaceuticals
- ROME Foundation
- Salix Pharmaceuticals
- Sandoz Corporation
- Solvay Pharmaceuticals
- Sucampo Pharmaceuticals
- Takeda Pharmaceuticals
- TAP Holdings
- Trine Pharmaceuticals
Some of the research contracts with pharmaceutical companies — on-going and completed — entail safety and efficacy trials for new drugs, mostly through randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled, multi-center studies (not listed here).