How to Apply
Criteria For Selection
Are you in your first-year of medical school at UNC-Chapel Hill? Do you possess a sincere commitment to return to North Carolina and practice in a rural area? Are you interested in a career in Primary Care (Family Medicine, OB/GYN, Pediatrics, Internal Medicine, Psychiatry, or General Surgery)? If so, you could be a great fit for the Kenan Primary Care Medical Scholars Rural Experience.
- Preference is given to students who are from a rural community, or self-identify as rural background.
- Applicants should be prepared to spend six weeks in Central, Eastern, or Western North Carolina (based on program selected) during the summer months between first and second year of medical school beginning mid-June and concluding in August.
- Kenan Scholars are partners in sharing our work through attendance at recruitment events, outreach events, and often as mentors.
- Kenan Scholars must participate in community service events during their time at UNC SOM.
Additional factors that may be used in selection process:
- Preference for North Carolina residents
- Financial need
- Good academic standing
Application Timeline and Process
Applications for 2023 Kenan Rural Primary Care Scholars is now open APPLY HERE
- Application deadline: January 6, 2023
- Interviews: January 26/27, 2023 – Tentative
- Final Selection Notifications: February 3, 2023
- Summer Experience Dates: June 19, 2023-July 28, 2023
To accompany your application you MUST provide a letter of recommendation from someone who can speak to your commitment to rural primary care. This should be your PCC tutor, advisor, etc.