How to Apply
Criteria For Selection
Are you in your first-year of medical school at UNC-Chapel Hill? Do you possess a sincere commitment to return to North Carolina and practice in a rural area? Are you interested in a career in Primary Care (Family Medicine, OB/GYN, Pediatrics, Internal Medicine, Psychiatry, or General Surgery)? If so, you could be a great fit for the Kenan Primary Care Medical Scholars Rural Experience.
- Preference is given to students who are from a rural community, or self-identify as rural background.
- Applicants should be prepared to spend six weeks in Central, Eastern, or Western North Carolina (based on program selected) during the summer months between first and second year of medical school beginning mid-June and concluding in August.
- Kenan Scholars are partners in sharing our work through attendance at recruitment events, outreach events, and often as mentors
Additional factors that may be used in selection process:
- Preference for North Carolina residents
- Financial need
- Good academic standing
Application Timeline and Process
Applications for 2022 Kenan Rural Primary Care Scholars will open soon
- Application deadline: January 14, 2022
- Interviews: TBD
- Final Selection Notifications: TBD
2021-2022 Early Kenan Rural Primary Care Scholars Program Application
This if for those recently admitted or awaiting admittance into UNCSOM and are ready to commit to being a Kenan Scholar
- You will need to provide the name of someone who can speak to your character as part of the early application process
- Application deadline: April 15, 2022.
- Virtual Interviews: April 17-24
- Final Selection Notifications: April 27
- Early applicant preference will be given to North Carolina residents
- Letter of recommendation from faculty advisor/mentor speaking to your rural commitment will be required before the end of the traditional cycle to confirm acceptance into the 2022 cohort