Skip to main content

The 2024 MED application has closed. The 2025 MED application will open fall 2024.


If you have any application questions, please contact us at the emails below.


Claudis Polk –
Lisa Long –

MED Program Requirements

Students must be a rising senior in college or a post graduate student. Academic prerequisites are passing grades in Organic Chemistry (Part 1) and your other science and math courses to prove a solid background in the major biological and physical sciences that are preparatory for medical or dental school.

A cumulative science GPA of 2.75 or higher is strongly recommended for realistic consideration. Other factors may include a passion for health professions, motivation to help people, and personal story as it relates to your journey.

The program consists of pre-medical or pre-dental applicants with at least one year remaining before desired application to professional school. All such participants are either rising seniors or postgraduates. MED is designed to increase opportunities in the health professions for individuals who have lacked opportunities, access, and resources and who demonstrate educational promise and commitment to health careers. Current applicants to professional school whose results are still pending by the program’s deadline are invited to submit an application along with an explanation of the circumstances. The program typically enrolls at least 90 students per summer (70 pre-medical, 20 pre-dental).

North Carolina residents receive preference and typically constitute 80-85% of participants. Applicants from other states are also welcome to apply.

Note: MCAT / DAT scores are not required for admittance to the MED Program.

There is no cost to apply or attend the MED Program. The School of Medicine and Adams School of Dentistry cover all instructional costs (i.e. tuition, texts, housing, etc.) for all participants. A stipend is awarded to qualifying applicants.

The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill is committed to equality of educational opportunity and does not discriminate against applicants, students, or employees based on color, national origin, religion, sex, or handicap. Moreover, the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill is open to all people of all races and actively seeks to promote racial integration.


Application Dates/Deadlines

Application opens – October 17, 2023

Application closes – January 16, 2024 (5:00pm EST)

Decisions emailedApril 8, 2024 (by 5:00pm EST)

*If we are delayed in releasing decisions we will email all applicants with that update on April 8, 2024.

*If you do not see your MED decision email in your inbox, please check your junk or spam folder. UNC emails sometimes get routed to those folders.*

Application Requirements

The MED application is comprised of two components:

  • an online component
    • demographic information
    • 2 essay questions
    • 2 letters of recommendation (letter writers will be able to upload letters)
  • additional documents you must mail in
    • Transcripts – all official transcripts from institutions you received science course credit (including community colleges)
    • Financial aid documentation – you will need to submit one of the following: Student aid report or FAFSA or tax information
    • Resume/CV


Students can have transcripts sent directly from the colleges/universities to the address below OR students may collect transcripts, financial documents, & resume and mail together in one packet.

Mailing through the United States Postal Service (USPS):

Lisa Long

The University of North Carolina

Office of Scholastic Enrichment & Equity, CB#7530

Chapel Hill, NC 27599


Mailing through UPS, FedEx, DHL or Amazon:

Lisa Long

The University of North Carolina

Office of Scholastic Enrichment & Equity, CB#7530

150 Medical Drive, 3307 Roper Hall

Chapel Hill, NC 27514


Application FAQs

Please see Frequently Asked Questions regarding the MED application. Don’t see your question? Please email us at or with your question.

Applying to the Program

Who is eligible to apply?
Applicants must have completed at least three years of college course work including Organic Chemistry (Part 1) and possess a strong background in the major biological and physical sciences that are preparation for medical and dental school. A cumulative science GPA of 2.75 or higher is highly recommended. Criteria for selection are based on a number of factors, including educational promise, a strong commitment to a health career, and lack of past opportunities. You must be considered underrepresented in medicine/dentistry in some way to be eligible. Refer to question below regarding underrepresented status for clarification. The program is designed for rising seniors in undergraduate school and post-graduates. There is no age limit and you do not have to currently be enrolled in school. As long as you fulfill the requirements of the program, your application will be considered with the same consideration as other applicants.
Can out-of-state applicants apply?
Yes, non-North Carolina residents are encouraged to apply. Each summer approximately one-third of the participants are from other states.
Are international/foreign students eligible?
Eligible: US Citizens or Permanent Resident Alien (green card)
Ineligible: Any visa type that is NOT Permanent Resident Alien
Are current medical/dental applicants eligible?
Yes, students currently applying to medical and dental schools are able to apply. .

If you have completed the AMCAS or the AADSAS application and applied to either UNC School of Medicine or Adams School of Dentistry, you will be asked to upload a pdf of your application. You will still need to complete the online MED application and mail in transcripts & financial information by the deadline.

What if I am a re-applicant to the MED program?
Re-applicants are eligible to apply. Re-applicants will need to complete all aspects of the application and have transcripts & financial documents mailed to the office.

*Please note, we do need the transcripts mailed in as those uploaded last year are now archived.

      1. Current online MED Application
      2. Transcripts/updated transcripts
      3. Letters of recommendation – please ask your letter writers to resubmit the letters from last year to the new application if you choose to use those letters again. We strongly recommend re-applicants submit at least one new additional letter of recommendation.

Completing The Application

When do applications become available?
MED 2024 applications will open October 16, 2023.
When does the applications close?
Application will close Tuesday, January 16, 2024 at 5:00pm (EST)
Where are applications available?
Applications will be available via the Office of Scholastic Enrichment & Equity website.
What is the deadline for submission of the application supplemental materials to be mailed in?

Tuesday, January 16, 2024 at 5:00pm (EST)

I was not born in the U.S. What should I put for birth state?

Under the state drop down menu, please choose “OC”, which stands for out of the country. List your birth city as, “City, Country”

Academic Background

What is the minimum overall GPA?
What is the minimum science GPA required?
What courses should be included in the science GPA?
All biology, chemistry, math, and physics courses should be included. This includes courses in biology, chemistry, biochemistry, genetics, physics, and mathematics. Courses in psychology, sociology, public health, etc should not be included. Courses should also be included that were taken at other institutions and during postgraduate work.
How do I calculate my science GPA?
Tally all your math and sciences courses to determine an average. We will do the official calculations for application review purposes.
What are the Organic Chemistry requirements?
Our program requires one level of organic chemistry because students are at a disadvantage in the biochemistry course if they have not successfully completed the first session of organic chemistry prior to MED. This requirement is met with successfully passing Organic Chemistry I with a grade of C or higher.
What does it mean to have a “strong background in the physical sciences”?
This means you have taken and successfully completed (a grade of B or higher) classes in the biological and physical sciences.
How should I explain any grade discrepancies?
You should explain any poor performance in courses, repeated courses, course withdrawals, etc. in writing and submit with your transcripts.
What date should I enter if I am currently enrolled in school?

Leave blank or enter expected date of graduation if you have not completed your degree yet.

What SAT, ACT, GRE, MCAT, or DAT scores should I list?

You should list the highest score in each section of each test that you have taken, even if the scores are from tests taken at different times. You list scores for all tests that you have taken, no matter how long ago the tests were taken. Official copies of test results are NOT required. It is NOT required that you have taken the MCAT/DAT


Where should I send my transcripts?

Transcripts must be mailed to the OSEE office. Please see instructions on the Requirements page.


Which transcripts should be submitted?
Please mail official transcripts from the following:

  • current academic institution
  • past degree granting academic institution
  • any institution you completed science coursework

This includes summer session courses and bi-institutional programs, such as the Robertson Scholar’s Program. Please note, you do not need to submit any community college transcripts with ONLY non-science courses; if a science course(s) was completed, you must submit an official transcript.

Should I send a transcript if the courses were transferred to my primary institution?
Yes. Even if you received transfer credit for courses taken at an institution, you still need to mail an official transcript from the other institution if those courses/credits were science courses. Grades and credit hours for transferred courses do not routinely appear on primary institution transcripts.
What is the deadline for transcripts?
Applications will not be considered complete until all components, included transcripts, are received. The application closes on January 16, 2024 at 5:00pm EST. Mailed materials must be received or postmarked by this date to be considered complete.
What if the transcript cannot be mailed by the deadline?
You should contact the MED Program directors via email.

Letters of Recommendation

Who should write my letters of recommendation?
Two academic letters of recommendation are required. At least one of your required letters of recommendation should be from a science professor who knows you academically/professionally, who is able to speak on your academic standing, and your ability/suitability to pursue a degree in medicine and dentistry. The best letters of recommendation are personal, and thus should come from people who you know well and that know you well. Your second letter can be another science or non-science professor or a health professional who has supervised you or whom you have shadowed. A third letter from a non-academic person can also be submitted for additional support.

What format should they submit the letters of recommendation? A standard formal letter is appropriate. The letters should be uploaded to your application via you the upload link on your application homepage. It can be addressed to the “MED Program Admissions Committee.”

Personal Essays

Is there a word limit for essays?

The word limit is 750 words for each question. Please answer each question separately in the given slots. There may be some overlap since your question responses may be related, but all questions must be answered separately.

Financial Information

Do I need to submit financial documentation?
All applicants must submit financial documentation. You can submit one of the following:

  • Student aid report
  • 2022/2021 or 2023/2022 tax form
What financial documentation should I submit?
The only acceptable forms of financial documentation are the Student Aid Report (SAR) compiled from your most current FAFSA application or IRS Tax Forms (not W-2 Forms). You should submit the most current financial documentation available.

      • If you are an undergraduate/graduate student, who is claimed by their parents/guardian, then submit a copy of the most current year SAR and/or your parents/guardian tax forms (not W-2s)
      • If you are an undergraduate/graduate student, who is not claimed by their parents/guardian, then submit a copy of the most current year SAR.
      • If you not currently an undergraduate/graduate student and are working, who is not claimed by their parents/guardian, then submit a copy of your most current year IRS Income Tax Return forms (not W-2s).
What is the most current year financial information?
In order to most accurately assess economic disadvantaged status, the most current available financial information should be submitted. For example, if you are applying for the MED program for the summer of 2024, then the 2023-2022, 2022-21or 2022-21 SAR or 2022 or 2023 Tax Forms would be acceptable.
How do I know if I am independent or dependent?
You are considered independent if you were not or will not be claimed on anyone’s taxes. You are considered dependent if you were or will be claimed on another’s taxes.
What is a Student Aid Report (SAR)?
The SAR is a summary of the Federal Application for Student Aid (FAFSA). FAFSA applications are available online at are used to assess financial need. Do not send a copy of the FAFSA. Several days after submitting your FAFSA, you will be able to access a SAR, which should be mailed to our office.
What if I do not fill out the FAFSA?
If you are no longer in school, a copy of your 2023 or 2022 Income Tax Return will suffice for our records. If you are claimed as a dependent on your parent(s) taxes, you must also submit a copy of their income tax returns for 2023 or 2022.
Can I just indicate on my FAFSA that I want it to be sent to UNC-CH?
No. The Office of Scholastic Enrichment & Equity is a distinct office separate from the UNC undergraduate campus. Therefore, we will not receive documents sent to UNC-CH. Please mail the SAR directly to our office.

General Application

Please read this section carefully before you begin the application and if you encounter any errors with the online application. If your issue is not resolved please take screen shots of 1) the page that shows what you keyed into the form, 2) of the error. Specify the section with the problem and email this and the screenshots to and any additional explanation of your application issue. Please allow 24-72 hours for a response.

Can I leave items blank on the application?

No. All fields in the entire application should be completed. If a certain question does not pertain to you, simply put N/A, but do not leave the item blank.

I get an error message every time I try to save my page and move on to the next one. What should I do?

Please check to see that you have filled out all fields before proceeding forward. Review the page being saved. All errors will be annotated in RED.

When I input information, I get an error page. What do I need to do?

You may need to complete the application using a different browser, and clearing out your cookie cache. Otherwise, please take screen shots of 1) the page that shows what you keyed into the form, 2) of the error. Specify the section with the problem and email this and the screenshots to and any additional explanation of your application issue.

*Note – please do not take a picture of your screen with a camera. It is more difficult to view than the screenshot.

What if I cannot open the online application?

Try cleaning out your cache of websites and then try to log in to our system. When your cache of internet sites is full, our system does not work too well. You may also encounter problems with one browser and may need to switch to a different browser. If you are still unable to log in, please contact our office.

What type of photograph should I upload?

The photograph should only be a head-shot of only you, and professional. Passport style photographs are the most professional and best suited for this type of application. Photos are not required, but optional if students want to include.