Rising Star Program to Enhance Faculty Diversity
The 2024 Rising Star Post Doc application will open November 1st, the nomination via faculty form is open!
The UNC SOM’s Rising Star Program’s main goal is to enhance diversity among faculty members in the basic sciences. This program provides training to postdoctoral fellows to help them excel during the faculty interview process by exposing admitted fellows to the same components that they will experience during the faculty job interview process. This includes job talks, chalk talks, and multiple one-on-one faculty interviews. Participants will also attend workshops on the faculty environment and negotiating hiring packages. This program is sponsored by the Vice Dean for Research at UNC SOM, the Office of Diversity, Equity, & Inclusion, and Howard Hughes Medical Institute Gilliam Awards.
- A two-day campus visit to UNC-Chapel Hill with all expenses paid and a $500 honorarium
- Opportunities to complete mock job talks, chalk talks, and multiple one-on-one faculty interviews
- Workshops on the faculty environment and negotiating hiring packages
- The anticipated timeline is as follows:
- Application Opens: November 1st, 2023 – February 15th, 2024
- Awardee Selection & Notification: Late February – Early March 2024
- Program Orientation (Virtual Series): April 2024
- UNC Campus Visit: May 1-3, 2024
- The Rising Star Program (campus visit) is open to all postdoctoral researchers. We encourage applications from individuals belonging to groups that have historically had limited opportunities in the basic sciences.
- Internal and external postdocs are eligible to apply.
- Participating basic science departments are listed below:
- Only online applications will be accepted. When completing the online application, please have the following materials available:
- UPLOAD your most recent Curriculum Vitae. There is no page limit for this document.
- UPLOAD a brief Research Statement that includes a (a) Description of your previous experience and predoctoral work (1-2 paragraphs), (b) Overview of your current project (2-3 paragraphs), and (c) Explains your broad area of research for development (propose the idea for the research program you hope to develop as a faculty). This document should be no longer than 3 pages, excluding references.
- IDENTIFY the basic science departments (up to 3) with which your research best aligns.
- UPLOAD a Leadership Statement that succinctly describes (up to 1 page) how your unique experience and perspective add value as a researcher and leader.
- Each uploaded document must be saved as a pdf and titled with the applicant’s name (i.e. JaneDoe_CV, JaneDoe_ResearchStatement, etc.).
- Program Coordinator: Virginia Nadworny
- Co-Directors: Dr. Ashalla Freeman and Dr. Jose Rodriguez-Romaguera
Any questions about the program or application process can be addressed by Rising Star Leadership Team.
2023 Rising Star Awardees
2022 Rising Star Awardees