Frequently Asked Questions About Study Visits
Patients and visitors may park in the Dogwood Parking Decks or the Ambulatory Care Center parking lot at a cost of one dollar an hour to a maximum of $6 for a full day. Discount coupons for all-day parking can be purchased at the Cashier's Desk in the Main (Memorial) Hospital lobby between 7:30 a.m. and 5 p.m. Monday through Friday. Discount coupons come in books of five and cost $20 per book. There are free shuttles that operate from both the Dogwood Parking Deck and the Ambulatory Care Center to the Hospital entrance.
If it's the first time, you will be told all the details of the study; what the study is looking for, how much time it will take, and what kind of medications are involved. If you are interested in participating, you will be asked to sign consent saying that you understand the purposes of the study and are willing to participate. Many studies require a screening blood draw, physical examinations, and a medical history which will also be done at the first visit.
The first visit can take anywhere from 30 minutes to 3 hours depending on the study and how many questions you have. All other visits will vary in time according to the specific study in which you are participating.
Yes. We have sites at Wake County Health department and Moses Cone in Greensboro.
The General Clinical Research Center (GCRC) is located directly over the lobby on the 3rd floor in the Main Hospital Building. In order to get there:
1. From the Visitor Parking Deck - Proceed to the Main Hospital entrance. It's on the far left as you face the hospital from the parking deck.
2. Enter lobby, take the hallway between the information desk and the pharmacy. Proceed down the hall past the escalators to the main elevators.
3. Take the main (M) elevators to the 3rd floor.
4. Immediately out of the elevator hall, turn to your left into the General Clinical Research Center lobby (look for the hardwood floor).
5. As soon as you enter the GCRC lobby, turn left and go to the end of a short hall.
6. At the end of the short hall, turn right and go to end of that hall. You will see Outpatient Registration Desk to your right.
Yes. The options are listed below.
Location: Brinkhous-Bullitt Building, 2nd fl (access from 1st or 2nd floor of Main Hospital).
Weekdays only: 7 a.m. - 2:30 p.m.
Location: Neurosciences Hospital, 2nd fl.
Hours: 7 a.m. - midnight, closed on Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Year's Day.
The Women's and Children's Café
Location: 1st floor N.C. Children's Hospital, overlooking lobby (beside the sculpture).
Hours: Midnight - 9 p.m.
Classic Café and Coffee Shop
Location: Ground floor of N.C. Memorial Hospital, across from the MRI center.
Hours: Weekdays: 6:30 a.m. - 9 p.m. Weekends: 7:30 a.m. - 3:30 p.m.
EspressOasis Coffee Bar
Location: Connector between N.C. Neurosciences Hospital and N.C. Women's Hospital.
Hours: Weekdays: 6 a.m. - 6 p.m., Weekends: 7 a.m. - noon.