Many of you have asked questions about the current state of vaccine distribution and the COVID-19 precautions are currently in effect. To help clarify, the following table has been created to outline the expectation for both clinical and non-clinical School of Medicine employees.
|Clinical Employees||Non-Clinical Employees|
|Vaccines||Required. SOM employees that work in a clinical environment must complete their vaccine series or receive a medical or religious through UNC Employee Occupational Health by Sept. 21. See the UNC Health policy here. (UNC Health login required)||Not required but strongly encouraged. All non-clinical employees must attest their vaccination status by Sept. 15 or take a weekly COVID-19 test at the Carolina Together Testing Center. More information here.|
|Vaccine Reporting Portal||SOM employees that work in a clinical environment must provide verification of vaccination using the COVID-19 Vaccine Certification Form or have received a medical or religious exemption through UNC Employee Occupational Health by Sept. 21 to maintain their clinical privileges. If you have previously submitted your vaccine verification through the UNC Health portal, you do not need to resubmit through the University portal.||In order to be exempt from weekly testing, faculty and staff are required to complete the COVID-19 Vaccine Certification Form. When filling out the form you will attest to the dates you received your vaccine and the manufacturer of your vaccine. If you have already filled out this form, thank you. If not, please do so before September 15.|
|Regular COVID-19 Tests||If you have completed your vaccine series and have attested your status using this form, regular COVID-19 test are not necessary. If you experience symptoms, you should contact Occupational Health before reporting to work, even if you have received your vaccine. Those with approved medical and religious exemptions will be required to complete regular tests.||If you have not received a vaccine, or you have not attested to your vaccine status by Sept. 15, you will be required to take a weekly COVID-19 test at the Carolina Together Testing Center.
Please note that if you may be required for any reason to report in-person to any School of Medicine site, even if you are primarily remote, you will be required to take regular tests
|Travel||UNC Health has instituted a temporary COVID-19 Business Travel policy effective on Aug. 16. Travel for SOM clinical employees is subject to the UNC Health Travel Policy. In instances where a UNC Health employee’s business travel will be reimbursed by a UNC SOM clinical department, or where a SOM employee’s travel will be reimbursed by a UNC Health department, the travel must be approved under both policies.||Non-clinical School of Medicine employees are subject to the University’s travel policy.
If you plan to travel and are not fully vaccinated, please note that the CDC recommends that you:
|Meetings and Events||In-person meetings should be limited to essential personnel only and a virtual option should be provided.
All persons attending an in-person meeting should be masked and maintain a distance of at least 6 feet.
When planning meetings and events, please consider whether it is necessary to hold it in-person or if a virtual meeting would be appropriate.
More detailed information for SOM employees working at UNC Health sites:
A COVID-19 Vaccine is required by Sept. 21 for all teammates including: physicians, advanced practice providers, contract staff, students, volunteers and vendors working onsite, virtually, or in a hybrid model at UNC Medical Center (including UNC Faculty Physicians), UNC REX Healthcare, Chatham Hospital, Johnston Health, UNC Health Southeastern, UNC Health Rockingham, Wayne UNC Health Care, Caldwell UNC Health Care, UNC Physicians Network (including GP I and GP II practices*), UNC Health Alliance and UNC Health Shared Services locations.
As a result, SOM teammates that work in a clinical environment must provide verification of vaccination using the UNC EHS Vaccine Certification Portal or have received a medical or religious exemption through UNC Employee Occupational Health by Sept. 21 to be compliant with this policy – regardless of when or where your vaccine was administered.
Submitting verification is required for those who were vaccinated at a UNC Health clinic because COVID-19 Vaccination is currently part of your personal medical record – not your employee health record as with the flu vaccine. To be compliant with Occupational Health and Safety Administration requirements and the UNC Health COVID-19 Immunization Policy, UNC Employee Occupational Health needs your COVID-19 vaccine verification via the UNC EHS Vaccine Certification Portal.
Even if you have already used the UNC EHS Vaccine Verification portal, please review the information below to make sure you are in compliance.
If You Are A SOM Employee and Have Not Yet Received a COVID-19 Vaccine:
- You can schedule your appointment at this link or by calling 984-215-4485.
- Additional dates and times are being added across UNC Health, so check back often if you don’t see a convenient time/location for you.
- You do not have to receive the vaccine at UNC Health. Find convenient vaccination sites across North Carolina at https://www.vaccines.gov.
- If any of the following situations apply to you, please call the UEOHC at 919-966-9120 for assistance:
- You had a severe allergic reaction after receiving the first Pfizer or Moderna COVID-19 vaccine and were advised to not complete the series.
- You are seeking a medical or religious exemption to the UNC Health COVID-19 vaccine policy
- You are pregnant and have been advised by your obstetric provider that you should request a temporary, time-limited deferment in receiving the COVID-19 vaccine at this time.
If You Are A SOM Employee and Have Already Received a Complete COVID-19 Vaccine Series:
- If you have already logged into the portal, entered your vaccine information, AND uploaded supporting documentation, you are in compliance with the SOM COVID-19 vaccine policy and no further action is required.
- If you have already logged into the UNC EHS Vaccine Certification portal, entered your vaccine information BUT DID NOT upload supporting documentation, you need to log back into the portal AND upload your supporting documentation to be in compliance with the SOM COVID-19 vaccine policy.
- If any of the following situations apply to you, DO NOT USE the certification portal. Please fax your vaccine documentation to the University Employee Occupational Health Clinic (UEOHC) at 919-966-6337.
- You have received a WHO-approved COVID-19 vaccine series (ex. two AstraZeneca/Oxford)
- You completed a mixed vaccine series (one Moderna & one Pfizer, one Pfizer & one J&J, etc.)
- You have received a COVID-19 vaccine series as part of a Phase 3 trial (ex. AstraZeneca, Novavax)
- If you are having technical difficulties putting your documentation into the UNC EHS Vaccine Certification Portal, you may fax your vaccine documentation to the UEOHC at 919-966-6337.