Skype for Business
The Classroom Support team supports Skype for Business as a web conferencing option. Skype for Business is similar to the consumer version of Skype and other web conferencing platforms, but is more secure and allows you more flexibility in features.
People you invite to Skype for Business online meetings can either use the full Skype for Business software (if they are university affiliates with ONYENs) or a smaller web application. The web application allows guests from outside of the university to connect without an ONYEN, and has most of the functionality of the full application, including audio/video sharing and desktop sharing.
For more general information on Skype for Business, visit the product page on the Skype website.
Skype for Business Features
Skype for Business has many features for conducting a meeting online. Some of the most typical used include:
- Audio and Video broadcast
- To broadcast audio and or video, you will require a microphone and/or web camera. We have limited resources to provide for this. Please consult with us in advance if you want to do this so that we can find a solution for you.
- Please note only audio from the microphone will be transmitted through Skype.
- Instant Messaging
- Desktop Sharing
- Desktop sharing also allows remote control
- Live polling
- File Sharing
- Interactive Online Whiteboard
Resources for Setting Up Skype for Business
Microsoft Lync has been rebranded as Skype for Business. Documentation for this version of the software is available below.
- Using Skype for Business in a School of Medicine IT Classroom – A guide on how to use the Skype for Business software from one of our classrooms
- Using Skype for Business on a Personal Computer – A guide on how to use the Skype for Business software from your desk and how to schedule online meetings
- Using the Skype for Business Web App – A guide on how remote participants may view and hear your presentation using the browser plugin (Additional changes may come in late summer 2015)
- Requirements for Using the Skype for Business Web App – A guide on the requirements for accessing online meetings via the Browser