Mucins proteins, expressed in a strategic position between the host and the environment, are believed to be central to disease pathogenesis. Mucins are characterized in part by a highly glycosylated variable number of tandem repeat (VNTR) regions that can vary measurably in length, and we hypothesized that this variability could have functional consequences for CF lung disease. We used a combination of Southern blots probed with VNTR sequences, polymerase chain reaction and SNP genotyping to establish the distribution of VNTR lengths for the mucins MUC1, MUC2, MUC5AC, and MUC7 and analyzed potential associations of VNTR length to lung disease severity in our established cohort of patients recruited for extremes-of-lung phenotype ("mild" lung disease versus "severe"). Our goal is to find the role of the mucin genes in CF disease. Our work would likely suggest new prognostic approaches and potential targeted therapies to prevent and treat the CF disease and other mucin genes involved diseases.
- O’Neal WK, Gallins P, Pace RG, Dang H, Wolf WE, Jones LC, ... & Knowles, M. R. (2015). Gene Expression in Transformed Lymphocytes Reveals Variation in Endomembrane and HLA Pathways Modifying Cystic Fibrosis Pulmonary Phenotypes. The American Journal of Human Genetics,96(2), 318-328.
- Guo X, Zheng S, Dang H, Pace RG, Stonebraker JR, Jones CD, ... & Voynow JA. (2014). Genome reference and sequence variation in the large repetitive central exon of human MUC5AC. American journal of respiratory cell and molecular biology, 50(1), 223-232.
- Guo X, Pace RG, Stonebraker JR, Commander CW, Dang AT, Drumm ML, ... & Knowles MR. (2011). Mucin variable number tandem repeat polymorphisms and severity of cystic fibrosis lung disease: significant association with MUC5AC. PLoS One, 6(10), e25452.
- Guo XL, Lin GJ, Zhao H, et al. Inhibitory effect of docetaxel on VEGF, bFGF and MMPs¡¯ expression of LS174T cell. World J Gastroenterol,9(9):1995-1998;2003.
- Guo X, Pace RG, Stonebraker JR, O'Neal WK, & Knowles MR. (2014). Meconium ileus in cystic fibrosis is not linked to central repetitive region length variation in MUC1, MUC2, and MUC5AC. Journal of Cystic Fibrosis, 13(6), 613-616.
- Guo XL, Lin GJ, Qian LP, et al. In vitro inhibitory effect of docetaxel on angiogenesis. Fudan Univ J Med Sci£¬130 (1):37-74; 2003.
- Guan WM, Fan Y, Guo XL, et al. The effect of B-elemene on caspase activity and expression of survivin and apoptosis of human gastric carcinoma SGC-7901 cell. Fudan Univ J Med Sci, 30(5), 434-438; 2003.
- Guo XL, Lin GJ. Advances in antiangiogenic treatment of tumor. Fudan Univ J Med Sci, 29(1), 75-78; 2002 (review).
- Guo XL, Fu LN, Lin GJ, et al.Ki-67 antigen and telomerase's expression in benign and malignant lesions of colorectum and their clinicalsignificance. Tumor (China), 22(1), 50-53; 2002.
- Guo XL, Lin GJ. Antiangiogenic gene method treatment on colorectal tumor. International Journal of Digestive Disease, 21(4), 243-246; 2001 (review).
- Guo XL, Lin GJ. Ki-67¡¯ application in research of colorectal neoplasm. Fudan Univ J Med Sci, 28(4), 372-374; 2001(review).
- Guo XL, Guo ZL, Li KZ, et al. Ki-67 antigen in colorectal tumor and their clinical significance. Chin J Dig, 21(5), 313-315; 2001.
Contact Information7222 Marsico Hall
The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
Campus Box #7248
Chapel Hill, NC 27599
Phone: (919) 966-0713
Fax: (919) 966-7248