First Inpatient Week
- Rotation will run Monday through Sunday beginning with 6:30 AM rounds in FM resident call room working with senior resident on Medicine service and with the Asheville Hospitalist Group attending physician.
- Student should round on their patients admitted the day before and be prepared to present those patients.
- In afternoon, student will go with resident and attending to ER to pick-up admissions. The goal is to admit at least two patients per day except on Wednesday. Notes should be written on paper (both admission and progress). Make three copies of each note: keep one, give a copy to resident and/or attending and one to your outpatient preceptor.
- On Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday, student should stay until resident does check out with night float resident. Students may leave at 5:30 PM all other nights unless they don’t have the required two admissions.
- If time allows, the resident will observe the student performing H&P.
- To find AHG attending – Go to www.Amion.com - Password: MH AHG. (There’s a space between MH & AHG.) Attending’s name is under MAHEC Attending.
- To find Senior Resident – Go to www.wssweb.com – Click on Asheville FPRP. To sign-in choose MAHEC Medical student, Password: mahec1. Then click “Who Is” tab (should turn white). From dropdown box just below tabs – choose Med Sr. and the date. If you need to get pager number, go to the phonebook tab. If you have questions, contact Norma (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Michelle Pittman (email@example.com).
Note: Student should continue to go to Wednesday PM didactics and neurology & psychiatry didactics. You will not be expected at Cardiology or radiology lectures.
Second Inpatient Week
- Students should carry four patients with primary oversight by senior resident. Students should have first choice on any non-medicare patients.
- For medicare patients, resident must rewrite all notes. Student may not dictate or submit orders.
- For non-medicare patients, all student progress notes, admission & discharge dictations can count and orders allowed.
NOTE: Student should let the resident know when orders have been entered so they can be counter signed in a timely fashion.
- Dictation instructions:
- Always use student dictation number. NEVER use resident’s number.
- b. At beginning of note say: “This is (your name, MS-IV), dictating for Resident Dr. ___ ____ and Attending Dr. _____ _____.
- 4. Rotation ends Saturday at 5:30.