Laptop Connection and Testing Requirements
The following items must be completed in order to access the School of Medicine network and the online testing system.
We strongly advise you to complete the following steps prior to orientation. The items below can be completed off-campus and will make the connection process during orientation quicker and easier. Several of these steps only take a few minutes to complete and the more you do in advance, the sooner you will have access to the network on campus. School of Medicine IT staff will be on hand during the Technology Drop In session on Friday, August 3 to assist you if you have any problems. You can also drop by the School of Medicine IT Service Desk in 65 MacNider anytime during orientation for support.
If you ordered a CCI laptop, many of these steps will already be completed when you pick up your laptop.
- Install Antivirus Software
Antivirus software is required to connect to the UNC network.
- Recommended for Windows users: Microsoft Security Essentials(Note: Windows 8.x and 10 come with Windows Defender preinstalled and is the recommended antivirus software)
- Recommended for Mac users: Microsoft System Center Endpoint Protection (SCEP) Antivirus Client for Mac
- Install the ExamSoft Examplify software
This software is required for taking online exams. You will receive directions on exam protocol during orientation, including steps to download exams, upload completed exams, and receive your results.
(To install and register, the Institution ID is UNCMed and you will need to log in with your Onyen username and password)
- Install CCI Printing Software
Students can use their personal devices to send print jobs from anywhere and pick them up in any of the CCI Print Stations across campus.
- Install Microsoft Office (optional)
Microsoft Office is available to all students (paid for by student fees).
- Go to https://office.unc.eduInstall Office apps
- Setup Microsoft Outlook for email access (optional)
Microsoft Outlook is the recommended and supported email client.
- Configure your laptop for automatic updates
To ensure that your computer is protected, we recommend turning on automatic updates. It is best to choose a time overnight when your computer is not heavily used (default for Windows 10 is approximately 3:30 a.m.)
- Connect to UNC wireless network (eduroam)
To connect to the UNC wireless network (eduroam), you must be on campus and first connect to the UNC-Setup wireless network. Once you are connected to the UNC-Setup wireless network, a page with instructions on how to proceed should open. If the page does not open automatically, then please open a web browser and go to http://wifi.unc.edu and follow the instructions.