Medical School IT Survival Guide
Important IT information that you need to know as a UNC medical student or faculty.
Changing your Onyen password
- You will be reminded by email every 90 days.
- Your account will be locked out if you allow your password to expire.
- Visit onyen.unc.edu to change your Onyen password.
- After changing your password, remember to change it on all your devices (e.g. smart phone, laptop, tablet, etc.). Forgetting to change it on your smart phone is the most common cause of account lockout after password change.
Information Security & Privacy
- Visit the Information Security & Privacy web site for information on UNC’s privacy policies, information security best practices, HIPAA requirements and other important information security policies
- If you have received a suspicious email, this page will help you recognize and report fraudulent emails (phishing, spam, etc.).
- The UNC School of Medicine HIPAA training is an annual requirement. Access the HIPAA Training module here.
- Backup your data regularly (we are not responsible for data loss).
- If machine is re-imaged (CCI only), the School of Medicine Service Desk will make best efforts to recover School of Medicine data, not personal data, i.e. iTunes, other digital media, etc. and reinstall licensed software for you.
- With the UNC e-mail system, you can send encrypted messages to addresses outside of campus (sending messages internal to UNC addresses is already considered secure).
- Put (secure) at the beginning of subject line.
- Example: (secure) This is an encrypted message!
- Read more about sending secure email on the ITS Help Site
UNC Email Information
Students and faculty must use the official UNC Exchange email system for university business. Use of external email services (e.g. Gmail) violates this policy.
- Microsoft Office 365 hosted by ITS
- Shares Directory and Calendar with campus
- 50 Gigabyte mail storage
- Autoforwarding not allowed (e.g. Gmail)
- Outlook provides secure connection off campus
- Web Access available: https://heelmail.unc.edu
- Read more about the UNC email service on the ITS Help Site