Individualization Phase Overview
The Individualization Phase of the TEC Curriculum is the third and final phase of Medical School education. During these 14 months, students will develop individual core clinical interests and skills with a focus on future career plans. Students have many options to individualize their learning experience based on their Individualized Learning Plan, their career goal interests and their unique needs for clinical skills development.
The 14 months include 4 Elective months. One elective may be brought forward for credit. In addition, there are 11 months of required experiences which include:
- 1 Acting Internship (note class of 2023: 2 Acting Internships required)
- Critical Care (clinical experience with focus on emergency and critical care of patients)
- Science of Medicine: (clinical experience with focus on translational science)
- Social and Health System 5: (coursework with a focus on Health Systems Science)
- 1 Advanced Clinical Selective: (clinical experience with a focus on developing clinical skills required for Internship)
- Transition to Residency: 4 weeks of focused career development for internship, which may include BootCamps for residency and ACLS certification/recertification.
Students are expected to complete the NBME Step 2 CK exam using 4 weeks built into the Individualization Phase.
The Individualization Phase is led by:
- Dr. Lindsay Wilson, Co-Director of Individualization Phase
- Dr. Kimberley Nichols, Co-Director of Individualization Phase
- Mindy McKinney, Individualization Phase Coordinator
All courses in the Individualization Phase are graded on a scale of Fail, Pass, High Pass, and Honors. Research electives are an exception, and are graded on a Pass or Fail basis.
Individualization Phase Committee
The Individualization Phase Committee develops, evaluates, and manages the Individualization Phase. The committee is led by Drs. Lindsay Wilson and Kimberley Nichols. Course directors, Campus directors and faculty, student representatives, and key administration attend the monthly meetings. Minutes of the meetings are maintained in an internal learning management system and are available upon request. Contact Mindy McKinney, Individualization Phase Coordinator, with requests or questions. Learn more about the structure and purpose of this and all educational committees.