Textbooks, Supplies & GUTS Modules
- MS1 2022-23 Foundation Phase Textbooks: Fall / Semester 1
- MS1 2022-23 Foundation Phase Textbooks: Spring / Semester 2
- MS2 2022-23 Foundation Phase Textbooks: Fall / Semester 3
Purchase items for Microbiology Small Groups – Needed by August 10, 2021
- Fluid Resistant Lab Coat – Must be a long lab coat. Consider purchasing a cloth coat as this will also be used for Anatomy lab.
- Protective Eyewear | Goggles over glasses – Must have side, top and bottom protection
Purchase Items for Patient Centered (PCC) – Needed by August 2, 2021
- Stethoscope from Student Store. Can also be purchased elsewhere, such as with the Diagnostic Kit. Use discount code UNCSOM for 5% off.
- Reflex Hammer
- Tuning Forks (Frequency 512)
- Diagnostic Kit – Discount code: UNCSOM for 5% (could also be purchased elsewhere)
GUTS Modules and Biochemistry Reading
The GUTS (Get Up To Speed) lectures are quick reviews of important material that you will be expected to know during the first weeks of Principles of Medicine. Each lecture deals with material that many of you will have had or will have reviewed in studying for the MCAT. To help you determine whether viewing a particular GUTS lecture might be helpful, there is a short Pre-lecture quiz for each lecture. If you score 80% or better you probably do not need to view the lecture. If you score lower than 80%, you will likely benefit from the GUTS lecture. You can assess your learning after watching the video by taking the Post-lecture quiz that is included with each lecture set. In addition, for those of you who prefer reading to watching videos, there is a lecture syllabus that accompanies each video.
*If you are using FireFox and an error message appears, click “OK” and the module will still run correctly. If you get this message, try opening the files in another browser.
DNA & Nucleoties
Lipid Structure & Nomenclature
Protein Structure & Function
Basic Principles of Metabolism
Also recommended for summer reading, but not required:
The Big Picture, Medical Biochemistry by Lee Jansen and Marc Tischler
Available for free at HSL